The mysterious disappearing peppermint shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oafboy182

Aquarium Advice Regular
Two weeks ago or more I bought a peppermint shrimp to hopefully take care of some aiptasia I have living on a piece of rock. Within a couple of minutes of being in the tank my new shrimp ended up on the side of my tank where there are 4 bulb tip anenomes living. I didn't think anything of it at the time as I saw it climbing around on the rocks and it seemed ok. That was the last I ever saw of it. I kept looking for it everyday I was off (work 24hr shifts) but never saw it, neither did one of my roommates who was keeping an eye out for it also. After a week I considered it to be a gonner figuring it probably got eaten by an anenome, so i bought another one. When I got the new one into the tank it quickly disappeared and i didn't see it again for about an hour, That was the last time it was ever seen. I've looked everywhere in the tank and can't find either shrimp day or night and the aiptasia are still there. I looked around the tank to see if they might have climbed out and have found nothing. The tank is a 29gal and all that is in there are the anenomes, a maroon clown, and a psudochromis. The only think I could think happened to them is they where eaten by the anenomes. I have found no remains of the what so ever. Just wanted to share, but if anyone has any ideas of what might have happened to them I am listening.

Justin

Mine did the same thing...Never saw it again...my aptiasia thrived for 2 weeks until I started turkey baster boiling them. A few weeks later I bought a cleaner shrimp and low and behold the pepper came out immediately...I dont see him all the time. But now I see him scavenging and more importantly he has started to rid my tank of the very small leftover aiptasia. Strange little shrimp but I wouldn't worry maybe just give them some time

mine stayed hidden for at least 2 weeks before they started comming out. i have three and could not find them anywhere.

I have 2 cleaners and maybe 5 pepps. I say maybe because I usually only see 2-3 of them. On occasion the other two will show up at feeding time. Then again, I haven't seen them in a couple of weeks now... hmmm. :?

Peppermint shrimp are great hiders. Mine only come out of the rocks at night. If you use a flashlight and cover the lens with red tissue paper, you can watch them at night without scaring them.

i did the same thing i put mine in the tank went behind rock gone havent seen him since this was about a month and a half ago and my aspita is still going strong real strong i joe juice them but cant keep up with them what si turkey boiling them i get the turkey baster but then what i gotta get rid of them can the aspitia hurt my corals they always go by my clam thanks

Very common, I thought mine died until I transferred tank and low and behold there it was. I had not seen it for months.

Thanks everyone for the info thats makes me feel better. The girl at the LFS told me you can use a syringe to directly apply liquid calcium to the aiptasia and it gets rid of them instantly. She said her and the other girl that works there went around the store on a killing spree the other day. Will let you know if I ever see my pepps again.

I have been fortunate to never have aptasia. Maybe this means my Peps are doing their job. Have not heard of using calcium to kill Aptasia, but have heard of lemon juice and something called Joe's juice.

Try a seperate post or do a search on aptasia before you take action. I know there have been several discussion on this site.

Good Luck,

Well one of Pepps showed up. He is just chillin under a rock checking stuff out. Now if he would just eat the aiptasia I have everything would be golden.

I'm glad you found him Oaf! :D I'm sure once he decides the coast is clear he will make his way out and take care of that aiptasia for you.

Back
Top Bottom