Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-04-2004, 08:48 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, ideally you would have a cycled QT ready and waiting when you bought your first fish. But even if it's not fully cycled it's still slightly different, because usually in a QT setting you are the main source of filtration.. ie through frequent water changes.

I would always advise against adding even the first fish directly to the main tank, because if it ends up needing treatment you will be putting added stress on it (and yourself) trying to catch it and getting it into the QT. That doesn't apply to all fish, but most SW fish are very difficult to catch. On top of that, now that you've contaminated the main tank you'll have to leave it fallow for 6 weeks before adding another fish. It seems like an awfully large risk to take.

My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met.
- Rodney Dangerfield.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 09:29 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular
Thanks Atari. I guess I'd feel like an idiot if I contaminated the main tank with a QT sitting downstairs unused. I'll start it cycling tomorrow to help my fishy friends as much as possible.

canadian_eh is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com