Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-23-2006, 12:11 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah sand just makes the tank that much more real. How about that buddy that's giving you the rock ask for some sand. HTH

Old 06-23-2006, 12:44 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
I do not think u will be able to keep 2 firefish in a same tank. Other than that, ur stocking list looks good WITH the fuge that ur gonna add later

Old 06-23-2006, 09:35 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to SerLunchbox Send a message via AIM to SerLunchbox Send a message via MSN to SerLunchbox Send a message via Yahoo to SerLunchbox
well, i have been told by my wife that i am allowed to keep:

1 - Cardinal fish
1 - Clown fish
1 - 6 Line Wrasse
2 - Green Clown Gobies

as for sand, it is all my wifes call. Again i will defer to a saying "Happy wife = happy life". Personally i pained the bottom of the tank a glossy white. I want to stay as bare bottom as possible given that it will be easier for detrius cleanup.

The glass top will be coming off as well ... it is just there since my legs for the light haven't come in yet. I want to put egg crating over top so that i don't have any jumpers

Tankless ... for now ... until i find what i really want (and what the wife lets me get!)
SerLunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 11:20 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
R u not allowed to get other kind of fish? Like tangs or butterfly? With that stocking list, u can add more fish later on
Old 06-23-2006, 01:26 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to SerLunchbox Send a message via AIM to SerLunchbox Send a message via MSN to SerLunchbox Send a message via Yahoo to SerLunchbox
So long as they are reef safe my wife shouldn't have a problem ... but she wants to be part of the selection process.

Tankless ... for now ... until i find what i really want (and what the wife lets me get!)
Old 06-23-2006, 02:15 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Feron Send a message via Yahoo to Feron
Just a word of advice, take it slow.. resist impulse buys of livestock (and even I am guilty).
I'd even recommend spacing out the 1 to 2 fish thing until a good solid amount of establishment has happened with the tank.
Of course, that's my personal oppinion, to each their own
GL!
(and yeah, only one type of firefish is recommended unless added at the same time.. even then there could be territory disputes unless they were contained in the same tank at the lfs)
Old 06-23-2006, 03:08 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I'd even recommend spacing out the 1 to 2 fish thing until a good solid amount of establishment has happened with the tank.
That was my initial plan. My initial plan was let it FULLY cycle with LR and skimmer only for 6 weeks. After 6 weeks start adding some cleanup crews. Once they have established themselves for 2 weeks, then i will add the cardinal and clown fish. After that, it will be about 2 - 4 weeks before any other additions.

i DO NOT want to rush a reef tank or else i will be quite literally washing a lot of cash down the drain, and i do NOT want to do that.

Though now i do have one question ... i added my salt already (yesturday) and today i noticed that there was a "film" of sorts in the tank. I took out a cleaning pad (never been used one at that) and started doing a clean up ... turns out it was residue salt. Is that normal for starting out? I thought i mixed it very well, but i guess i was mistaken. How often will that take to get fully absorbed (refractometer had a reading of 1.024 20 minutes ago).

Thanks for all the kind words and advice!

Old 06-23-2006, 03:23 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Feron Send a message via Yahoo to Feron
It happens.. just allowing the pumps/powerheads to run will finish up the mixing over time.. I'd imagine the residue won't throw the SG off by much if at all..just keep an eye on it.

That's one of the reasons for preparing water change water 24h in advance - to allow the salt to fully disolve.

I assume the film was literally just a film and not particles you could feel per-se.
I noticed something very similar when I started my first salt tank.. was a mixture of the super fine salt and super fine stand stirred up by my dumping salt in the tank.. nothing to worry about and no doubt will end up in your filter to be cleaned out... plus you'll have to do a healthy WC before adding stock, so that'll remove a bit of it too.

HTH and keep up the good fight.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:41 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah ... its jsut fine salt particles that won't absorb it seems. I have a LOT of water in the tank now (up to the brim) so i will just syphon off the excess salt when i go to add the LR later on in the week.

Old 06-23-2006, 07:01 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are you going to hang the light? You will want too loose the glass top and the plastic legs you have I can see them melting over time..

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com