Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-23-2006, 07:35 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
Sounds like u already know what ur doing Good luck!

Old 06-24-2006, 02:54 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to SerLunchbox Send a message via AIM to SerLunchbox Send a message via MSN to SerLunchbox Send a message via Yahoo to SerLunchbox
Quote:
Are you going to hang the light? You will want too loose the glass top and the plastic legs you have I can see them melting over time..
I actually have legs for this light as my wife does NOT want to see any hanging of the light for right now.

Quote:
Sounds like u already know what ur doing Wink Good luck!
It would seem that way ... as i have done research for a VERY long time.

Now for the murkiness of the tank to go away ... though i know what caused it this time and it is the glass lid ... it isn't allowing all the salt to mix properly ... just have to drop water levels and i should be good. Once i get the light legs, i am loosing the plastic legs and the glass tops.

EDITED PART:

So now i can actually see particles in the water. There is some salt residue and some salt on the bottom ... any suggestions on how to get this cleaned up? Would like to get it done before i get some live rock ... gonna have to put that on hold till i get this sorted ... or will LR help at all.

Thanks

Tankless ... for now ... until i find what i really want (and what the wife lets me get!)
SerLunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 03:52 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to SerLunchbox Send a message via AIM to SerLunchbox Send a message via MSN to SerLunchbox Send a message via Yahoo to SerLunchbox
Well, i got one Seio M1100 ... great pump!!!! Also, the wife "requested" that there be some sand ... so i syphoned off all the water and got rod of the excess salt. Then i cleaned and added the sand. I will be testing tomorrow to see how everything went!!

There are pictures from Day 3 and day 5!

I get LR tomorrow (40 pounds worth) so this will be cool!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tank_day_5_214.jpg (51.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg tank_day_3_174.jpg (45.9 KB, 14 views)

Tankless ... for now ... until i find what i really want (and what the wife lets me get!)
Old 06-25-2006, 09:20 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
R u planning on getting another pump? U should have at least 2 pumps in a tank
Old 06-25-2006, 12:56 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
R u planning on getting another pump? U should have at least 2 pumps in a tank
Yes. Either a Seio 820 or another 1100. Unsure as to which one yet. Hell, i haven't even figured out which configuration i want to leave them in yet. Seio pumps remind me of transformers. There is more then meets the eye!

Old 06-26-2006, 11:48 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, the Live Rock is in.

I was also given cured rock and some has some brown polyps on it and a fuzzy mushroom Coral started popping its head out once i found it a good spot. The guy didn't even realize that he had the coral.

So hopefully with some PWC's i can possibly keep it alive.

Other then that, i am battling a perverbial sand storm when the Seio 1100 is on. I am not complaining mind you, it is just me trying to figure out how to combat the flow that is in the tank. Have to find the right powerhead and LR configuration so that i don't blow sand all over the tank for the whole experience. I know ... its my own fault for using sugar sand. I just have to figure out what to do now.

Live and learn i guess!

Old 06-28-2006, 01:07 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, here it is ...
http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g4/SerLunchbox/

That there is the link to see days 1, 3, 5 and 7 of the cycling of my thank! It looks a lot better now.

The power head is on and flowing very well

The quality of the water is getting better and i jsut can't wait for the skimmer to get here!!!

I am so STOKED!!

Old 06-30-2006, 10:35 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, it is day 10 ... teh skimmer has arrived and is hooked up already ... there is a little thing about that ... but anyways ...

I have started to brown out. The LR, the sand bed everything except the glass is browning out BAD.

This is the best sign that i have had so far.

here are my stats (recorded today)

ammonia - 1ppm
nitrates - 7ppm
nitrites 0ppm
pH 8.35
KH - 11 on the scale used.

I am quite happy ... now to jsut get some extra fans to blow off the excessive hot air from the halides ... all photos are located here .... http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g4/SerLunchbox/

Old 07-01-2006, 01:36 AM   #29
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Very very nice. The diatoms are unsightly, but you'll wake up one morning and they'll all be gone!

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 10:23 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks Devilishturtles!!

I woke up this morning and it was all gone!

New photos were added to my photobucket gallery ... take a look!
http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g4/SerLunchbox/

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com