Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-13-2016, 02:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

The Sand has settled...new saltwater tank

So I have the Biocube 29. I have the heater, the filters in and Caribbean Live sand which has now settled and my tank is clear with premixed saltwater it has been running for a couple of days now with the sand. i have a protein skimmer ready to go. I want to have live rock, corals and fish. So what are the suggested next steps? You can be as detailed as possible. Let me know if buying online rock is best and what type of live rock is best and places to go etc..? Same thing for corals and best starter fish or aquarium stock I should get.

Thanks

Old 06-13-2016, 03:48 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

You can buy either live or macro/base rock easily online. The rock will become live over time as you cycle the system.
As for corals, it depends on your lighting. What specifically do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
You can buy either live or macro/base rock easily online. The rock will become live over time as you cycle the system.
As for corals, it depends on your lighting. What specifically do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
I have the basic lighting that comes with the biocube 1 True Actinic 03 Blue Straight Pin Compact Fluorescent Lamp; 1X 36W 10,000K Daylight Straight Pin Compact Fluorescent Lamp; 1X .75 Watt Lunar Blue LED Bar.
Old 06-18-2016, 09:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Speaking from personal experience, stock lighting will grow almost anything. I grew anything I tried, though I never really pushed the limits. Any LPS or softy, monti caps, birdsnest and green slimer. Acans always died, as did 2 plates. Go figure. Search my previous posts and I'm sure there is a picture somewhere.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-2016, 09:23 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

FYI those LEDs are just for looks. They don't do anything for growth or color development only visual. Also be sure to check the age of your bulbs, they need to be replaced every eight or ten months

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

Tags
ate, led, new saltwater tank, salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, sand, tan, tank, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com