Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-01-2011, 01:41 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

The Start of my Reef Tank

Tomorrow I am going to my "not so" local fish store (one hour commute) to get lighting for my tank. I want to be able to keep coral, and hopefully I can get some tomorrow as well. I want a light that will let me keep whatever I want. What do you recommend if I want the most "bang for my buck" when it comes to lighting my 29 gallon long. I have clowns that I want to host an anemone. That being said what would you recommend in terms of anemone and coral and what do I feed them? Thanks!

Old 06-01-2011, 01:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

I know many people have success with their bubble tip anemone pair up with their clowns but are there others that are highly successfully? Also I see that people throw around the term t5 a lot when it comes to lighting... What makes t5's so good?

Old 06-01-2011, 01:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bang for buck on lighting go with the aquaticlife t5 s with timers and moon lights for the 30 inch it costs around 330.00 if that not so lfs is way higher id check else where
Old 06-01-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wouldn't recommend an anneomie quite yet they need an esablished tank.. wait like a year or so... if u want them to host something in the mean time get a decoration they can fit in like a ceramic teapot. They will host it..
Old 06-01-2011, 02:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Alright thanks! I know most people syay their fish store is out to get them but everything they always tell me is always on par with what you guys say... ill just go in and look and if prices seem a little high ill just buy online... are you sure my tank is too young for an anemone? It is very mature for how new it is... what do you think in terms of coral?
Old 06-01-2011, 03:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Coral.. right away as long as you have the lights on hand... and don't know if u are aware coral has no bio load so knock yourself out... only thing id be worried about in terms of coral is being aware of their flow and where to place them in terms of how close to the light
Old 06-01-2011, 03:51 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just make sure ur lvls are good like your ammonia..nitrites etc... also.. what corals were u looking at? What salt brand are you using or going to switch to once corals are in..
Old 06-01-2011, 03:52 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry to add more but you should see if there are any frag swaps around your area great for getting cheap frags.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:58 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Right now I am using instant ocean... And I don't know much about coral so I am unsure what I want to get...
Old 06-01-2011, 05:27 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolPete
Right now I am using instant ocean... And I don't know much about coral so I am unsure what I want to get...
I like it... once you get into various corals i recommend geting the reef crystals.. if i could recommend one for you which is often common.. us a frogspawn hardy.. pretty under attinc lighting and requires nothing but what already supplied by you salt and fish..

Tags
reef, reef tank, start, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com