Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-06-2013, 09:21 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan M. View Post
Hey again it's Dylan my tank has been cycled now for about 5 days with 40lbs of LS and about 20lbs of LR. Since then I've added a pink stripped dottyback and a scooter blenny also some turbos and some hermit crabs. I've been wanting to add fish I just wanna make sure I choose the right ones and I was hoping I could have some help. I know basically what I need. I just want some advice on choosing the right type/colorful fish. Also this brown algae is killing me I've been doing research on it and people say its just the start of a cycled tank and it will go away. Is this true or do I need to do something different like add a phosphate pad? Idk! any help or input would be spectacular. Here's some pics

Thanks for any help!
First off. If your tank is just cycled for 5 days your pod population isnt anything and your dragonet will die. Unless you get him to eat frozen which is no easy task. 2nd off you need a lot more rock, not live rock, just rock. It will become live after its in there for a while. And the fish you want all depends on what type of tank you want. A reef? A predator tank? A community tank? It depends. And yes the brown algae is diatoms. Very very ugly, but it will pass. But as of now id get that dragonet out and get something else.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:09 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenPadelski View Post

First off. If your tank is just cycled for 5 days your pod population isnt anything and your dragonet will die. Unless you get him to eat frozen which is no easy task. 2nd off you need a lot more rock, not live rock, just rock. It will become live after its in there for a while. And the fish you want all depends on what type of tank you want. A reef? A predator tank? A community tank? It depends. And yes the brown algae is diatoms. Very very ugly, but it will pass. But as of now id get that dragonet out and get something else.
Actually I'm keeping the dragonet only because he's doing really well and my pods are low yes, but he eats frozen brine and live brine no problem. I'm doing a reef tank and I guess getting more LR maybe 20lbs and 20lbs of dry rock idk any suggestions?

Old 06-07-2013, 05:05 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan M. View Post

Actually I'm keeping the dragonet only because he's doing really well and my pods are low yes, but he eats frozen brine and live brine no problem. I'm doing a reef tank and I guess getting more LR maybe 20lbs and 20lbs of dry rock idk any suggestions?
You dont need to buy live rock. Its a rip off at $6-$13 a pound. If your tank is cycled just throw in dry rock. The bacteria will colonize in it and it will become live.

Tags
cycle, cycled, led, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com