Thinkin about a reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dpfleghaar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had a 200 gallon reef 15 years ago then had to move and leave the hobby. I never lost interest and am finally in a position to set set up a new however smaller reef (40 gal) . I see lighting has gotten alot more compact since the days of VHO full size flourecents tubes. 15 years ago I had blue actinic and 20k metal hallides that grew great soft corals and made the fish colors pop.This lighting system hoiwever, was big and hot and bulky. I see LEDs are now out and compact flourences. If anyone can give advice I would appreciate. I like the shimmer effect but am not 100% sold on it.Thankyou

Welcome to AA and glad you found us here :) ...MH are now pretty much the old school method lol now T5 HOs and LEDs are the lighting of choice it seems. Plus over the last year or so LEDs have started to cross the threshold of cost being worth effectiveness. If you are starting fresh I highly reccomend going the LED route but you will want 3w per diode leds for reef capable.

Also as you probably already know, your budget will dictate to some extent how you light your tank. How much can you dedicate to your lighting needs?

You'll have to do a little shopping around but you should be able to find a fully capable led setup for around that price.

also whats your opinion on a rimless tank. I like the crispness of them, but dont what to have issues. 15 years ago I had a 200 gallon acrylic that had excellent clarity although was susceptable to scratches (of course they really only show up when the algae grows on them) this tank wasnt rimless but did look nice.

Rimless are great and if you wanna spend the extra cash I say go for it but like you said acrylic is soft so in a smaller tank I would go with glass since there tends to be a much higher risk of scratching tanks in SW due to all the rock and algae scraping.

Back
Top Bottom