Thinkin about converting 29 fresh to reef FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TigerBarbs

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ive got sooooooooooo many questions on a salt tank!!
1Would an ac 50 work as a filter?
2How much LR and LS would i need
3How many gph circulation pump would i need
4Shoul i go a little bigger than it says on a p skimmer
Sorry about all the q's i just dont know about saltwater tanks that much.
*answer them by number please

Yes a ac 50 would work for a filter.
You need to know what kind of fish you want because things like jawfish need a deeper sand bed. At least 30 lbs of live rock.
I would get one or even 2 nano koralias so you can move them and adjust the flow.
You don't need a skimmer water changes on that size tank will do more than any skimmer.

Two things that you will want is a good test kit and a refractometer. When you can afford it an ATO.

Are you doing reef or FOWLR? In my opinion and experience a 29 that is not a reef is a waste of time and money, you will quickly want to make it a reef, so plan on that now.

Any skimmer is better than no skimmer. On that size tank you are right on the line for not needing one. I would say if you find a good deal on something, even a Seaclone, just get one. But don't worry about it, and don't get a nano skimmer.

I would say it would be a lot better to have more like 45-60+ pounds of rock. Live rock is 80% of your filtration, especially if you won't be running a skimmer. The good thing is that up to about 80% of it can be dry rock ($2/lb) and will become live eventually as long as the actual live rock you add is very good (not base rock or plain looking fiji).

It actually depends on the type of live rock used, 10 lbs of one type of live rock will be bigger than 10 lbs of another type because of the density. The base rock I got was a lot smaller in size than a piece of live rock of the same weight. It is the surface area that actually counts towards the filtration. Look for pieces with a lot of nooks and crannies.

Would i add the rock before it cycles? And i definitely want a pair of clowns and then i'll choose my other fish based around that with live aquaria's compatability chart

These are the fish i think i want so far.
2x ocellaris clowns
2x fire goby
1x two spot goby
Will that work? And what else could go in there

Fire fish should only be kept single unless it is a true mated pair.

You can have two firefish together as long as they are added at the same time.

So if i take out 1 firefish just to be safe what other fish could i have

Back
Top Bottom