Thinking about a saltwater nano?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bmtiz92

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, so I recently set up a 36 gal bowfront freshwater tank. I'm very happy with it, but I am thinking about turning my 10 gallon tank into a nano-salt water tank. Is it even worth it with a tank this size? I've been googling the last hour and am SO confused on how this all works. I have no clue what all I need, what a sump/refugium is, if I need one, etc. I guess before I dive any more into this, I'm mostly curious if doing a nano tank of this size is even feasible, because honestly my brain hurts from all this googling. I feel even more lost now then I was before I started!:thanks:
Also, is this a pretty good guide? http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/nano-saltwater-discussion/34054-nano-reef-step-step-guide.html

Last edited:
Do you plan on having a reef tank? The biggest problem is with stocking seems like everyone wants to stick a clown in their tank no matter what size the tank it. If you want just a beautiful little tank with lots of time spent on it a 10 gallon reef tank is very do able. I had an 8 gallon and now I have a 55 I spent more time working on the 8 gallon than I ever thought about keeping up with the 55 gallon. One or two fish at the most for that size tank when I say two I mean something like a neon goby not a pair of baby clown fish.

That is a good guide.
Three pieces of equipment for a nano is a refractometer, test kit (you can use the same one as for a fw tank just get a different ph test) and an ATO automatic top off.

It will make the tank a lot more stable. I had a 8 gallon tank and had to top it off at least 2 times a day. I have one on 3 of my 4 tanks I am waiting to get a good deal on another one for my other tank.

It is better to have an ATO than just topping off a few times per day/week, because the salinity decreases at a slower rate. You just have to remember to refill it with FW!!! I forgot one weekend and my brackish tank's sg went up to 1.019 needless to say I do not have my dwarf puffer anymore /:

Ok, so no clown? I know I could only do one maybe two fish, but what could I do? I'm in love with Scooter Blennys, but I'm assuming I can't have one of those either? Can I have an ATO without a sump? Seems like everything I read says you have to put it in a sump. Also, can I use the same heater?
I was wanting to do a reef, if I don't kill everything.

Last edited:
One small clown until it gets bigger would work for AWHILE. Some people have done it and it was fine. No you dont need a sump for a 10g, not sure about the ATO though.

zacheyp said:
people will say i am wrong but i would ONE SMALL clown

Yes, you are wrong. No clowns, sorry. I would do a firefish and a neon goby

One small clown until it gets bigger would work for AWHILE. Some people have done it and it was fine. No you dont need a sump for a 10g, not sure about the ATO though.

Definitely no clown then. I don't want to get anything if it will just "work", I want them to be happy if I'm going to do it. Any ideas on what I could actually put in a tank this small that will be happy?
Whoops, posted at the same time. Thanks Gboy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom