Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-23-2012, 08:18 AM   #101
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was definitely going to wait until the tank was fully cycled. Just wanted to make sure the cleaner shrimp is okay to go in with the other inverts when I add them when the cycle ends before fish.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #102
Aquarium Advice Addict

I ordered my stuff on amazon. I've never actually used a circulation pump before, how and where in the tank do I put it?

Old 10-24-2012, 04:14 PM   #103
Aquarium Advice Addict

Anyone have suggestions about where to place the pump? My filter is on the back left of the tank so there's flow there, so if I placed the pump on the left side pointing towards the right, will this be enough flow for the right side?

Here are today's readings:

Specific gravity: 1.025
Ammo: .5
Trites: 0
Trates: between 20 and 80... honestly those oranges look so close I can't tell. Definitely more than 20 though...

Does this mean my cycle is almost complete once it processes that last bit of ammo?? I admit I haven't tested since the last time I posted results, but I have never seen any trites. However I do have live rock and sand which I imagine will speed the cycle and possibly already contain the nitrite and ammo eating bacteria.

If so, do I just do a large WC and then go ahead and add my inverts?? Do I leave the decaying shrimp and let the inverts eat it, or do I remove it once I add them? I see no signs of diatoms yet so obviously I do not want them to starve but I can drop in some pellet or flake food once the flakes arrive so they have something to eat.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:31 PM   #104
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by okapizebra
Anyone have suggestions about where to place the pump? My filter is on the back left of the tank so there's flow there, so if I placed the pump on the left side pointing towards the right, will this be enough flow for the right side?

Here are today's readings:

Specific gravity: 1.025
Ammo: .5
Trites: 0
Trates: between 20 and 80... honestly those oranges look so close I can't tell. Definitely more than 20 though...

Does this mean my cycle is almost complete once it processes that last bit of ammo?? I admit I haven't tested since the last time I posted results, but I have never seen any trites. However I do have live rock and sand which I imagine will speed the cycle and possibly already contain the nitrite and ammo eating bacteria.

If so, do I just do a large WC and then go ahead and add my inverts?? Do I leave the decaying shrimp and let the inverts eat it, or do I remove it once I add them? I see no signs of diatoms yet so obviously I do not want them to starve but I can drop in some pellet or flake food once the flakes arrive so they have something to eat.
Try to bounce the flow off a tank wall, most stuff doesn't want direct flow, but a more random flow.
Ammonia is still too high, needs to be zero.
Nitrates are high, showing the tank is cycling.
I would use something other than adding inverts at first. Maybe a easy fish. You are not ready for anything yet. Don't get in a hurry, you will waste your money at the LFS if you add stuff right now.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:44 PM   #105
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wasn't planning on adding anything until the ammo was 0. But once it is processed, does this mean the tank is cycled? Then once that is processed, I can add? I don't see the sense of letting it sit there empty when it can fully process waste. According to my test results, I have developed BB for both ammo and trites so it is only a matter of time for those populations to increase to my bioload.

Okay, so far everyone has been telling me to add my CUC once the tank is cycled before fish. Now I am adding a fish first?? I am not in a hurry to just dump fish in there by any means, although I am excited to get it started. Which fish do I do first, then? I was planning on adding my firefish first. But fish then inverts?? Everyone has been telling me the opposite...

Sorry for being unclear, I did not mean I was going to add inverts yet... I meant after the BB process the remaining ammonia. It only took one week to get the ammonia down from 4ppm to .5 so I assume the cycle is nearing it's end. Am I right to assume this?
Old 10-24-2012, 06:50 PM   #106
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by okapizebra
I wasn't planning on adding anything until the ammo was 0. But once it is processed, does this mean the tank is cycled? Then once that is processed, I can add? I don't see the sense of letting it sit there empty when it can fully process waste. According to my test results, I have developed BB for both ammo and trites so it is only a matter of time for those populations to increase to my bioload.

Okay, so far everyone has been telling me to add my CUC once the tank is cycled before fish. Now I am adding a fish first?? I am not in a hurry to just dump fish in there by any means, although I am excited to get it started. Which fish do I do first, then? I was planning on adding my firefish first. But fish then inverts?? Everyone has been telling me the opposite...

Sorry for being unclear, I did not mean I was going to add inverts yet... I meant after the BB process the remaining ammonia. It only took one week to get the ammonia down from 4ppm to .5 so I assume the cycle is nearing it's end. Am I right to assume this?
I'm old school...so take my advice or leave it, many leave it!! I would be in no hurry as the first cycles in a new tank are pretty extreme. Remember this all repeats over and over again. This is just number one, as it continues to cycle, it builds up bacteria. You want to add the bio load very slowly at first, fish or CUC. I will let others chime in and recommend their favorite starters.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #107
Aquarium Advice Addict

I definitely do not want to add too much... I am in no hurry to reach my full stocking plan. But since the tank is near cycled, when it's complete, I hope to add something other then staring at this dead decaying shrimp lol. As long as the bioload of what I add does not exceed 4ppm (which I sure hope one fish could not achieve) the bacteria should be able to process it... right? So that leads to whether I add the CUC or the fish first. I appreciate your advice.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:14 PM   #108
Aquarium Advice Addict

After the ammonia is 0, and Trites are 0, you can add a fish and a couple of snails and hermits. Build you CUC slowly to allow time for algae they eat to grow. Yea!! It's almost fish time.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:29 PM   #109
Aquarium Advice Addict

Awesome!!!

So am I still good with my plan in having my firefish as my first fish?
Old 10-24-2012, 07:35 PM   #110
Aquarium Advice Addict

Found this little thing poking out of a big hole in the rock... What is it??

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121024_183455.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	127311

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com