Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-07-2012, 07:39 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

What kind of pump do I want?

This one... Amazon.com: Hydor Pico Evo-Mag 180 gph Circulation Pump for Aquariums and Terrariums: Pet Supplies

Or this one? Amazon.com: KORALIA EVOLUTION 240: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Old 10-07-2012, 07:53 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

No problem! I just wish I found this site while/before I set up my reef so I could ask some plumbing questions and such.

You can keep other gobies too! Lots of them only grow to about an inch or two. A clown goby and a neon blue goby would be nice additions. Since those guys are so small I'd say you could have 2 of those small gobies and the firefish. Also, sexy shrimp are awesome so I def. recommend those! Well it depends what inverts you want to keep. There's a ride range: CUC-unlimited pretty much, and there's anemones, starfish, slugs, clams, shrimp, etc. What inverts are you thinking about getting other than the cleaner shrimp?

I was thinking the koralia evolution 240. The other has adjustable flow which is cool, but not as much flow, and it's about the same price. You don't need one if you're just going with fish and no corals, but if you ever did get corals, I'd say go with more flow.

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:59 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh, so I don't need to get the pump, then? I do not plan on doing corals anytime soon. That'll save me some money I can put towards other stuff.

How many inverts are too many? I was hoping for the cleaner shimp, a hermit crab, maybe a sea star, and some snails?? I have no idea. What could be a possible stocking list for me?
Old 10-07-2012, 10:08 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wouldn't recommend a sea star (like a serpent or brittle star) b/c they can get up to a foot! You want one hermit and some snails, well I'd recommend a lot more. They will be part of your CUC (clean up crew). Hermit crabs are best for getting little pieces of food in the rock, ceriths don't make a dent, but they are good for getting tiny debri within rock/sand, nassarius snails are my favorite! They are extremely active and fun to watch. Once food hits the sandbed (or even before) they come out of the sand like they are rising from the dead ! They also aerate the sandbed and your CUC is also good if a fish hides and dies and you can't get to it, they will eat it before it completely decomposes and raises your nitrates. I just put in half of a table shrimp in the tank and all the nassarius snails were on top of eachother trying to get a piece. It was crazy, and a little while after my serpent star, who I hadn't seen for a month so I didn't know if he was dead or alive, came out and stole most of it and disappeared.

Here's just an idea of what you can add. There's many other snails and inverts you can add to clean up, but these are the main ones.
Quick Crew (10 Gallon)

- Winston Churchill
Old 10-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

So what if I were to do say 1 cleaner shimp, 3 hermit crabs, 5 ceriths, 3 nerites, and 3 nassarius? Would this be enough? Too much? Room for more? Maybe something different?

So once the tank is cycled, I add these guys first? All at once or a few at a time? Then, once the levels are stable, then I add fish? How will I know when it is time for that?

This plan may be kicking into gear sooner than christmas, I'm getting too excited. lol
Old 10-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Could I do more than one shrimp?
Old 10-07-2012, 10:43 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd say go with at least 10 nassarius and might want more snails. Really preference. You don't NEED a CUC, but they do help especially when you get those unattractive diatoms and hair algae. If you're talking about a sexy shrimp and cleaner shrimp I think that would be fine since the sexy shrimp are sooo small. If you want a cleaner shrimp and something like a blood red fire shrimp or peppermint shrimp, I'd say that would be too much. Once the cycle is done you can add them all at once. I added mine somewhere around 40-20 ppm nitrate. After some weeks I added a fish. I'd say about 2 weeks would be a good amount of time for your system to get adjusted. The cycle is technically done when there are 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite (after you've added an ammonia source), but fish shouldn't be added until about 30 ppm nitrate and corals do best at low levels of nitrate like <5. Going slow is best b/c if you added too much, the bacteria couldn't handle it and you might have a mini cycle. It is very exciting and takes so much patience! You already have most of your equipment and you'll be waiting a month or two for it to cycle (which doesn't require maintenance or anything, you just let it run w/ an ammonia source). Then at Christmas you can use some money to get new fish and such.

- Winston Churchill
Old 10-07-2012, 10:50 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay, so how does my stock sound?

1 firefish, 1 neon goby, 1 clown goby, 1 cleaner shrimp, 3 hermit crabs, 5 ceriths, 3 nerites, and 10 nassarius. Are there any other different kinds of inverts I could add?

Another question I have is feeding. What do I feed my fish and all my inverts?
Old 10-07-2012, 11:02 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

You'll want to get your CUC only when you get something for them to eat. For example, once your cycle is done, and you'll probably get diatoms, they can eat that. When you get fish they'll just eat the scraps. There isn't really a need to overfeed your tank, just so they can eat. They'll find food, but if you're worried they're not getting enough you can add a tiny piece of shrimp or something. I have about 50 nassarius snails, 100 dwarf cerith and 20 florida ceriths, 20 nerites, and 5 crabs (I'll be getting more, but they are a bit pricey), and a serpent star. I've only fed them once since I got them about a month and a half ago and I haven't noticed any losses except one hermit crab that somehow lost it's shell...For fish, a variety is best. Flakes, pellets, & frozen food (standard mix, mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, etc). I've read firefish eat spirulina. To save money you can buy shrimp, clams, squid, etc. from your grocery store, put it in the food processor and freeze it. Really cheap and fish love it too. I also use selcon as a food supplement and garlic extract makes the fish go insane for the food.

- Winston Churchill
Old 10-08-2012, 08:08 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

So you have all those in a ten gallon tank? I guess i'm just worried that i'll have too many but I guess i'll up my numbers a lot. Are algae wafers and shrimp pellets okay for saltwater too? I already have a bunch for my FW fish. I'll get saltwater flakes and pellets as well. So they can just eat raw fish/squid/shrimp?

Is there ever an amount of inverts that's too many, as long as they are all eating? I don't want to overstock them.

Are there any kind of inverts I could keep other than shrimp, crabs, and snails?

Thanks so much for all the help!

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com