Thinking about a saltwater tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was also wondering if it would be a good idea to switch my aqueon 10 with my 30...? Because I have it laying around. It has 200 gph and the 10 only has 100 gph.

I don't think it would be a problem. Just watch your coral. You might have to rearrange a little to adjust for the increase in flow. Can you please refresh my memory on what you have in the tank?

I have a 2 HOBs and a small PH on my 10 gal tank. One hob is rated for a 10 gal tank, the second for a 20 gal tank and the power head is set at about 150gph (but it can go to 200gph).

Would it be beneficial? Currently in the tank is a neon goby, a firefish, some zoas, and some xenia. Plus some snails and hermits for my CUC.

Already have an Aquaclear 20 (100 GPH) and a koralia nano 240 GPH PH, plus the 100 GPH of the aqueon 10.

Would it be beneficial? Currently in the tank is a neon goby, a firefish, some zoas, and some xenia. Plus some snails and hermits for my CUC.

Already have an Aquaclear 20 (100 GPH) and a koralia nano 240 GPH PH, plus the 100 GPH of the aqueon 10.

If everything seems happy I think you have plenty of flow.

Today while doing a PWC I moved my little baby xenia I found into the front of the tank on the rock. So far, it's happy! Here's mommy xenia and little baby xenia.

ForumRunner_20130311_164934.jpg

ForumRunner_20130311_164947.jpg

Are there any species of clowns that would work in a 10 gallon?

Probably not. Especially since you have the firefish and neon goby in there already. MAYBE if it was going to be your only fish. That's why I went with the yellow tail damsel. I can't add more fish now. 1.- my tank would be overstocked. 2. He would probably kill whatever I added anyway.

Even if i'm super good about PWCs? My params are perfect and I do 20% once a week.

Even if i'm super good about PWCs? My params are perfect and I do 20% once a week.

It's ultimately up to you. If you decide that it's ok, then it doesn't really matter what anyone tells you. It's like asking if its okay to keep a 140lb german Shepard in a small apt. It would need extra attention and long walks every day. The difference is that you cant take a fish out of its aquarium to give it exercise. You need to decide that you can give the fish a good home and that it will have plenty of swimming room and clean water. Do some research on clowns. Find what the smallest species is. Find out how active they are. Then make your decision. I will say that many people think it is bad fish keeping to keep a clown in anything less than a 20 gal while others think it's ok. The decision lies with you and how you feel about it. Another option would be looking into upgrading to a 20 gal. You can usually find used tanks on Craigslist for good prices. And petco has $1 per gallon sales every so often, so a 20 gallon would only be $20. I would personally look into upgrading to a larger tank and then getting a clown. Definitely do your research.

I certainly have no intentions of harming him. Nor would I want to confine a big doggy in a small apartment, just as I would not want to cram my fish. I know I would be able to provide him clean water, but ultimately it's up to, does my tank have enough space? Would I be stunting him? Would he be healthy? I'll definitely have to research... I'm just still looking for that one third fish to finish out my stock since I don't seem to have much luck with clown gobies. But it seems as if clowns just aren't an option.

I would upgrade to a 20 gal in a heartbeat but I'm leaving for college in june and the max size allowed is a 10. :(

So the smallest species it seems is the ocellaris clown. But that's a fish that gets 3.5 inches. Half the sites say no way need bigger, and the other half say that they had a pair in tanks smaller than a 10g and they were perfectly happy. Seems so controversial, and I don't think a clown will be a good choice for me until I can really provide a proper home I know for sure will make my fish happy.

Now here comes my next question! I was looking at the nano section and was looking for a new goby instead. Do you happen to know anything about this guy? Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Reef Aquariums: Greenbanded Goby
Looks darn cute! I'm going to start doing some research on him.

So today is this tank's last day. Sadly I decided that this tank will be too much work for me in college and too difficult to lug 2.5 hours back and fourth every semester, so it's just getting turned into a simple FW planted tank. :)

The tank has been doing so well lately, tons of pretty purple coraline algae growing all over. I haven't added anything new. Still just firefish, neon goby, cleaner shrimp, hermits and snails, xenia and zoanthids. This tank has been tons of fun and I really love it, and devastated I will be taking it down. :(

Thank you to all who helped me create this tank and get me started in SW tanks!! I am leaving at the end of June for college and downgrading from 5 tanks, totaling 100 gallons, to just one 10 gallon tank is extremely hard and sad.

I'll post a pic of the tank how it is now once the lights are on. :)

Back
Top Bottom