Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-29-2012, 04:14 PM   #321
Aquarium Advice Addict

Feather dusters.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:50 PM   #322
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy View Post
Feather dusters.
Agreed. They are some sort of little feather duster or tube worms. Harmless and beneficial. I have some in my tank too.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:10 PM   #323
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good to hear, thanks!

Fishy and shrimpy doing well so far. Not exactly sure about the coral because it hasn't opened up yet... But we shall see how it does.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:33 PM   #324
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm getting lots of diatoms and algae now! I order some snails from reefcleaners to finish my CUC. If there's some purple algae growing on the wall, is it most likely corraline?
Old 12-04-2012, 05:51 PM   #325
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by okapizebra View Post
I'm getting lots of diatoms and algae now! I order some snails from reefcleaners to finish my CUC. If there's some purple algae growing on the wall, is it most likely corraline?
I would imagine it is most likely coraline.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:54 PM   #326
Aquarium Advice Addict

What kinds of algae, other than coraline, are actually good, if any? Also found a stomatella snail today.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:08 PM   #327
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
What kinds of algae, other than coraline, are actually good, if any? Also found a stomatella snail today.
That's a good question. One way to look at it is that all algae are beneficial in one way, they are exporting nitrogen if harvested. Even ones that can't be re-fed back to the fish. The real question if you are wanting to use algae to help clean your water is which are the most efficient growers and the easiest to harvest. I grow several types in my algae scrubber (green filament, brissilus and chaeto with about 1 square foot of pulsing Xenia). But even nuisance algae, if removed from the tank water, is exporting a lot of organic products away from the reef. Even diatoms are tying up selenium and then can be removed during a water change with a siphon.

Protein skimmers and algae scrubbing are "natural" filtration systems mimicking Mother Nature.

Of course tangs, especially Kole tangs, like the green slime algae that forms on the glass as a precursor to green filament algae.

Hope that helps?

One more point, be careful what you throw down the toilet. There are some algaes that have gotten into the wild and are wrecking some areas. I put my algae I throw away into the landfill with the garbage.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:25 PM   #328
Aquarium Advice Addict

True, all the kinds of algae are all present in the ocean or some body of water and are definitely beneficial because they use nitrogen. But it's different in a closed system. I guess I should say, are there any that will grow in the tank, that aren't a nuisance, and won't take over, such as coraline? Just out of curiosity, really... I'm seeing lots of different algaes form in my tank.

I definitely know a lot about natural filtration.. all my FW tanks are moderately/heavily planted.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:30 PM   #329
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
True, all the kinds of algae are all present in the ocean or some body of water and are definitely beneficial because they use nitrogen. But it's different in a closed system. I guess I should say, are there any that will grow in the tank, that aren't a nuisance, and won't take over, such as coraline? Just out of curiosity, really... I'm seeing lots of different algaes form in my tank.

I definitely know a lot about natural filtration.. all my FW tanks are moderately/heavily planted.
You won't have all that much control as to what grows. As conditions in your tank change, so will the algae. I disagree that it is different in a closed system, I think it becomes a situation of either working with the algae or battling it continuously. I guess chaeto is as close to what you are looking for.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #330
Aquarium Advice Addict

I figured. I still think it is different in a closed situation. You don't ever see algae taking over the entire ocean, because things are generally always balanced and stable, unless a major pollutant enters. Plus it's so massive. I'm not really trying to grow anything for any specific purpose, honestly just curious about different types of algae. Thanks

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com