Thinking about a saltwater tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, I saw them going into the sand. Good to hear :)

I got Aiptasia-x today and squirted it at the little polyp. Not sure if I got him enough cus as soon as I squirted the stuff he dived into his little hole but I squirted the stuff into his hole as well. If he comes back I'll just try again.

Test results this morning!

Ammo: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrates: 40-ish

My LFS is having a huge event today and a big sale on fish. Works great for me!

I'm going to do a large WC this afternoon to get the nitrates down.

I assume I'm good to go for fish! Was planning on getting my firefish and a hermit crab and a few snails.

I remove the shrimp before I put in the fish, right?

I tried aiming the circulation pump towards a wall but honestly it doesn't really want to cooperate... Leaving to go get fish soon. :) I'll see how the fish does against the current and adjust as needed.

It creates so much flow... lol. I hope my flow isn't too... whirl-poolish? It kinda moves the water around the entire tank. Is this good?

Got my firefish! Also got two blue-legged hermit crabs and 3 turbo snails. They guy assured me that the turbos were great for 10 gallon tanks yet I thought I remember reading somewhere they preferred larger tanks? They didn't have any nasarius or ceriths so I was a little disappointed with that.

Tank looks nice. Yay! Finally got fish and inverts! Aren't you glad you didn't wait until Christmas? Turbos can eat massive amounts of hair algae and such and I think I read that once they run out they might starve. Wouldn't worry about it too much though.

Thanks! I'm so excited! I'm super glad I didn't wait until christmas. Well, I hope they'll do all right. Worst comes to worse and they don't make it, I've only lost 3 dollars. They're pretty cool snails, though.

My email notification that someone replied to my thread has the post saying "Wow you got all of them for only $3? That's maybe $15+ normally!" But I do not see that post lol. But wow, glad I got a good deal then.

And I don't want to seem like I'm only worried about the money... lol. I do not want to kill these snails either!!

Okay, well, the circulation pump made a strong current that seemed too strong for the poor firefish. I unplugged it and he was immediately more relaxed and swam around. How can I place it so that it won't be too strong? I tried point it at an angel towards the other wall but it just wouldn't turn far enough. Would really appreciate some advice on this.

My email notification that someone replied to my thread has the post saying "Wow you got all of them for only $3? That's maybe $15+ normally!" But I do not see that post lol. But wow, glad I got a good deal then.

And I don't want to seem like I'm only worried about the money... lol. I do not want to kill these snails either!!

Oh oops that was me. I posted it on here, but realized you were only talking about the turbos alone so I changed it :lol:. Still a good deal though b/c they are normally $2 at my LFS. Sorry about that :oops:.

Okay, well, the circulation pump made a strong current that seemed too strong for the poor firefish. I unplugged it and he was immediately more relaxed and swam around. How can I place it so that it won't be too strong? I tried point it at an angel towards the other wall but it just wouldn't turn far enough. Would really appreciate some advice on this.

You can always point it towards the top for surface agitation. Read somewhere that this helps with gas exchange and with pH.

No worries, lol! Okay, I'll do some fiddling around with it today to see if I can get it right. I have it off for now. It's supposed to stay on all the time, right?

Woke up today to find a hermit crab out of his shell across the tank dead? How did this happen? I can't find the other hermit. I spotted a bristleworm today scurrying through the sand. All 3 snails are fine.

My firefish is doing well. He keeps mainly to the bottom of the tank, but from reading about them online this is normal. I'm thinking if the current is up high enough it won't effect him too bad because they apparently rarely go in the upper half of the tank so I'll try and place the pump there. Reading online I've found that they are tolerant of any current and need it so they can pick food floating by.

Also, can someone please reccomend me a salt mix? I was going to use instant ocean, but my LFS said it isn't a very good mix and he said to use Dr. G's. I'm thinking it'll be much easier to use a mix then this pre-made saltwater. Don't know why I didn't just use a mix in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom