Originally Posted by Mebbid
Go with a 40 breeder if you choose anything. No tanks need a refugium / sump but they are highly recommended
1. Light - A low powered light is fine and all. I would however look into a taotronics 120w LED
. A light strong enough to keep low light corals will run you $100 and that light fixture will cost you $130. It will also save you money if you decide that you want other corals as well as lower costs for bulb replacement.
2. Skimmmer - You don't need one but they are recommended. They will really make your life easier in maintaining nutrient levels.
3. Heater - This is one of the few things I would advise that you not go cheap on for a reef tank. If something goes terribly wrong with a heater it can kill everything in your tank.
4. Power head. I would go with multiple powerheads rather than just one. It will give you a more dynamic flow pattern to remove dead spots. If you want a wave maker a Jaebo wp25 is a nice choice. Otherwise go with hydor koralias.
5. Live Rock - You don't need any live rock at all but it will speed up your cycle. I would probably go with 10%-20% if you wanted to seed dry rock.
6. A ro
unit is very important. It will work if you buy from your LFS
but that costs more over time. I would look into a unit from bulk reef supply.
As for cost it's hard to tell. Probably $1 / lb on the sand. $3-$4 / lb for the live rock. 150+ for both the skimmer and ro
unit. 100+ for the lights. 50 for the salt mix. 30 for the heater. 100 ish for power heads.
It all really depends on how high up you want to go. These figures really are base line guesstimate numbers.
+1. ive found that CL
is one of the secret weapons in this hobby. If you know what you are looking for and what relative prices are, you can land some serious steals on CL
. (I bought a $400 Vertex skimmer for $150). Also, the only, and I mean ONLY, thing that ive seen consistently hurt people in the sw
hobby, is their own ignorance. If, for example, someone goes to their LFS
and sees a beautiful fish they have to have, comes on here and asks if its doable only to be told that its not at all healthy or possible, goes back o the LFS
and buys this fish. only to have it stress out, bring ICH into the DT and die. ones own ignorance will do far more damage than learning a few SW
lessons the hard way.
research until your eyeballs fall out and youll do great.