Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-26-2006, 06:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via AIM to DirgeDevil Send a message via MSN to DirgeDevil
Thinking about a SW tank

Hello everyone, I've had freshwater tanks for awhile now, and I'd like to start a saltwater tank. I would'nt mind spending money on a larger tank, but seeing as my only job right now is babysitting , I'd like to know if there's anything I can do with a 16g tall that i've had sitting around. Any ideas/thought are appreciated. TIA

DirgeDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 06:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
You could do something with it but I wouldn't suggest it for a beginner. Research research and research some more. oh and skim, buy the best skimmer you can afford.

Scottm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 06:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Be prepared to spend more money than you expected at start up. Ive heard the bigger then tank, the more room you have for error. Im starting with a 29, and some have told me thats kinda small too. Study this forum, use it for every question you have and start bugging the crap out of your LFS like me. Where do you live in ATL? "Fish store and more" in buckhead is awesome, so is the Aviarium, and Under the Wave in duluth. Its alot of fun, go for it!!!!
suck failure freaks!
pancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 07:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via AIM to DirgeDevil Send a message via MSN to DirgeDevil
Yeah, i'm in the process of looking things up, I wouldn't dare start without knowledge about it. and since you don't suggest the tank size, what size do you think would be best for a beginner?

I live in Cobb County and sometimes i visit Optimum Aquarium just to browse :P I'll probably go here for more information. And I do know about the cost adding up. I have a tank for my White's treefrogs and so far it's cost about $300
DirgeDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 12:13 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
You could use it for a sump, or a QT (it might be a little small for those). There is a nano sub-forum, you might ask there. I'm sure those folks will have plenty of ideas. I would say, go for 30-55G, if you can afford it.
Pancho is right, the smaller the tank, the less room for error. The initial setup is somewhat expensive, but rewarding! One thing in SW, don't skimp, it could end up costing more in the long run.
One other thing, please do not cycle with live animals. Keep us posted!
Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 02:07 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Babysitting income could probably only support a 16 gallon tank in this crazy hobby. Stick with the freshwater until you have better income but you could take the 16g tank and make a small biotope/nano tank.........1 nice piece of live rock, strip light, 1 -2 small pumps, 1 inch of aragonite and an aquaclear hang on filter with 2 small fish ...........you'll have yourself a nice little set-up.
Don424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 10:50 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus
a 16 gallon would make a good nano. But i don't know if I would recommend a nano for a first time SW adventure.

I'll go a little against the flow on this, but I'll say you can afford a 55 SW tank on babysitting money.

You just have to be patient. Buy the things you need one part at a time until you have it all, then set it up.

Be frugal, shop around and compare. Keep your eyes on your local paper in the classifieds section for folks selling old tanks etc. Buy the tank and store it somewhere you won't be looking at it so it isn't taunting you to fill it! buy argonite play sand from home depot for your substrate. Go for base rock instead of live rock. Buy what you can when you can. It's dry so you can buy it whenever there is a good sale and just store it away until you're ready. Wait until you find a good sale on some PC lights and power heads. Get handy, find DIY projects to cut some other costs.

SW can by a very affordable hobby if you have the patience to hold out!

Good luck!
Acronyms and Abbreviations
BillyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 04:51 PM   #8
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I agree with BillyZ. 55 is affordable and if you shop around you can find deals. It also will be more forgiving than the 16 gallon tank if you make a mistake.

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com