Thinking about getting a clam.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beau_123

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was wondering what they need and what I should look for when buying one.

A squamosa clams is what you need to begin with...Squamosa Clams are relatively hardy and less demanding than most other Tridacna species, and require moderate to intense lighting and good water flow in the home aquarium. Proper water chemistry is very important, and they will thrive when calcium levels of 380- 450 mg/L, alkalinity level of 8-11 dKH, and magnesium level of 1280-1350 ppm are maintained. What type of lighting do you have and what size tank do you have.....here is a pic... of mine...

Attachments

• 100_0576.jpg
    100_0576.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 72
Good call on starter clam. If you can get a larger one it will be more likely to succeed. That might be an urban myth, but all my smaller ones died while large one is doing well.

Thanks for the help when I am buying one what should i look for when I am buying one.

A squamosa clams is what you need to begin with...Squamosa Clams are relatively hardy and less demanding than most other Tridacna species, and require moderate to intense lighting and good water flow in the home aquarium. Proper water chemistry is very important, and they will thrive when calcium levels of 380- 450 mg/L, alkalinity level of 8-11 dKH, and magnesium level of 1280-1350 ppm are maintained. What type of lighting do you have and what size tank do you have.....here is a pic... of mine...

I have eBay LEDs and a 55 g tank

About 3" long, opened with mantle extend over shell and check the foot make sure it's there and not a hole were it should be. Happy clam! Check out some pics online of healthy ones so when you go you will recognize one.

Attachments

• image-2712347866.jpg
    image-2712347866.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 67
I have eBay LEDs and a 55 g tank
a 55 gal tank at approx. 20 inches deep with 2 -120 watt led units will work...im guessing you have 2 120 watt units. Are yours dimmable? Mine has 90 degree optics and are mounted 6 inches above the tank...does yours have optics...

Attachments

• 100_0632.jpg
    100_0632.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 70
To me the squamosa was the easiest one and they don't need high intensity lighting. Here is what mine looked like.

009.jpg

Buy over 3" unless you maintain a filter feeder regime. Over 3" they can usually exist on their algae primarily. Some folks have amazing luck with clams. I can grow about anything but clams have always been difficult for me.

Back
Top Bottom