thinking about going sw

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jbaygurl78745

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have many fresh water tanks. And was thinking about doing a salt water tank. What would be a good size tank to start with? I would like a pair clowns ( Nemo`s lol) and maybe a few other small fish that would go good with the clowns. Any advise or suggestions welcomed. Thank you

I would recommend a 75 gallon. Great starting size IMO. It's what I started with. You can actually have a kole or tomini tang in a 75. Also a 75 leaves room for error so with a mess up you tank won't crash.

Like Crister I started with the same tank. But you will soon want a larger one so if you have the money and the space I would go with a 90 since its a little wider then the 75 and it makes it a little easier for rock placement and gives you more room to the front for the fish to swim.

I started with my 200 gallon, but wouldn't recommend something that big to start. My 125 is a great size I feel. It depends on budget and room.

Thank you. I think i can mange room for a 90... what are the dorey fish from finding nemo. Ive seen em at petco but both petcos have them labled as diff things. Would one be happy in a 90? This tank is for my nephew when hes at my house. He has special needs and has taken a great liking to fish. He has a 75 cichlid tank. But now wants nemo at my house.

Well there are many different types of clowns such as tomato's, percula's maroon's ocellaris and many more. I believe nemo is and ocellaris.

Jbaygurl78745 said:
Thank you. I think i can mange room for a 90... what are the dorey fish from finding nemo. Ive seen em at petco but both petcos have them labled as diff things. Would one be happy in a 90? This tank is for my nephew when hes at my house. He has special needs and has taken a great liking to fish. He has a 75 cichlid tank. But now wants nemo at my house.

Sigh.. Haha the dorey fish is a blue tang... 125 gallon tank for that fish.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Sigh.. Haha the dorey fish is a blue tang... 125 gallon tank for that fish.

Would a 125 be pushing it for a starter tank? And also would a blue tang get along with a clown?

IMO a 30 gal or larger not everyone has the extra $500/$600 dollars for a large tank to start with
basically its what you can afford and are comfortable with and go from there

I would check Craiglist for a deal on a used tank. Ive read about some GREAT finds on craigslist. I know theres a fish store around here too that sells used aquariums, so if you have something like that, check them out too. I would get As big as you can find space for in your house. Bigger tanks are more forgiving as far as water param go. I did a 55 for my first SW tank and now I wish I had done bigger. Bigger allows for more fish, and there are a lot if really cool fish that require bigger tanks.

Go with a 120g if space permits. I had one years ago, decided to go a little smaller this time around and am already regretting it. Larger gives you way more options for fish.

Jbaygurl78745 said:
Would a 125 be pushing it for a starter tank? And also would a blue tang get along with a clown?

Didnt you see the movie? They'd be best friends. Seriously that would be fine.

Back
Top Bottom