Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-29-2011, 03:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thinking about going to marine

Hi I currently have a fluval vicenza 260 tropical tank. I've kept tropical fish for a couple of years and quite successfully and feel ready to move to marines.

This is completely new and have many questions but my question is regarding sumps.
I've read a sump is the way to go and would like to try this. Now I understand you need a weir or overflow box to feed a sump. For those that don't know my tank has pre drilled holes in the bottom corner that feed my external filter, and I will use these to feed the sump.
I don't feel comfortable in building a weir in the corner of my tank or having an overflow box, so was wondering can you just have a standpipe (with a filter inlet basket on top) that sits just below the surface of the tank water and goes straight down through the bottom of the tank to feed the sump?

CheekyAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
If your tank is Drilled it should have a built in overflow. Also called "reef ready". In that case you will not need an overflow box. Plumb it to your sump and get a return pump with some lockine fittings into your tank and your good to go.
Mpfaff77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com