Thinking about saltwater tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishandPotterFreak

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29 gallon freshwater tank. But I was thinking, once I was done with the freshwater, I could switch to saltwater. I'm all new to this, so sorry if I'm like annoying you with so many questions!
First off, how many pounds of sand? Can I use aragonite sand or live sand or is that the same thing? Sorry..
This is a TopFin aquarium so it has the filter that came with it. It is 115 volts and 60 Hz. Do I need a bigger filter? If so what kind/how big? What brand do you recommend?
I already have a heater, and it also came with the tank. So do I need a bigger heater? If so, what kind?
How many pounds of live rock? I just want to start with a FOWLR tank so I don't need any coral right?
I really like the Golden Head Sleeper Goby, so can it fit in this size tank if I get the smallest one? What other fish can I get with it and how many?
Do I need a different light? Again, it came with the aquarium. I don't know how many watts.
What do you recommend for a protein skimmer? Or do I even need one? What kind?
How many powerheads and what brand do you recommend? Or do I need those?
I can't afford a sump, unless I REALLY need it.
How do you introduce the fish into the tank? I already have the nets and such.
How much is this all going to cost?
So basically, explain what all I need! Again, I'm all new to this so please explain stuff easily! Haha! Thank you! :)

The best tank for a new saltwater person would be a nano or something like that look on Craigslist you might find one cheap. Live sand is what I use but if you let it cycle you can us almost any sand. Live rock you want a pound per gallon but fish only you don't need that much I'd start with at least a 29 nano or go bigger the bigger the tank the easier it is to keep your water where it needs to be. Ect

Ok just to clarify you will be using the 29g right? That's a great size to start. You should get about 1-2lbs of sand per gallon to start and I'd get 30ish lbs of rock. You really don need live sand of you get live rock. If I were you I'd get whatever aquarium sand you can get (aragonite is pretty available though) and 20lbs base/dry rock (just dead) and 10lbs live rock cured.

If you only want fish no corals the light is good enough but it might not look great but you can upgrade later. You need a heater that will run about $30 for a topfin size 30g I think. Yes you need a powerhead unless you want to get a crazy powerful filter. Powerhead will run about $30 as well if you get what I have (aquaclear I believe is the name). You actually don't need a great filter since most your filtration comes from your rock, so stick with the stock filter for now until your base rock has become live.

I'm bad at estimating but here's a rough one..

Tank- free (old one)
Heater- $30
PH- $30
Sand- $20
Rock- $30-50? (really depends)
Fish/stock- ???
API master test kit- $20
Water- ???
Salt- ???

Ok the last two were the hardest for me. Where do you plan on getting your water? I filter and purify my tap and add salt sometimes but others I just buy premade salt water because I'm lazy and it's good water. A lot of people recommend RO units but I don't think it's necessary right now. Maybe in the Long run if you ge a large tank or more than one.

Hope I helped!

Yes I plan on using my 29 gallon once I'm done with the freshwater.
I use tap water then put in the dechlorinator(sp? I'm not the best speller!). But can I use tap water for saltwater? If so, do I put in the dechlorinator, or do I let the salt break it down? Surely my LFS or PetSmart would have premade salt... so should I stick with tap water or buy the water somewhere else?

What about a protein skimmer? Do I need one? And if so what brand do you like?
And I already have a heater, since I have a tropical freshwater tank. It came with the tank.. so do I need a better one?
Thank you sooooo much!:)

A tank that size is borderline on the skimmer.. you can get away without it (unless this is gonna be a reef) but other then the skimmer and a circulation pump a saltwater tank that size is almost identical to a freshwater equipment wise but don't get me wrong the better equipment will most time yield better results so it really just depends on what you'd like to keep and what's your budget

Check out the link in my signature! I just put together a 29 gallon. I documented every step. May be helpful.

Back
Top Bottom