Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-03-2004, 01:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to aquarium
thinking about starting a salt water tank

im thinking of starting a salt water tank...i gotta couple questions if anyone could help me please do ok
questions:
1-im gonna get a 55gal..is that big enough to start a salt water tank and what kind of fish could i get for that size tank?
2-how long do i let it cycle and how long does it take?
3-when i do a water change every other week how much marine salt do i put in the new water thats im adding to the tank after i take about 25 to 50% out and how much marine salt do i put in when i first start up the tank
4-do i have to use live rock and if so why is it needed
5-could i use gravel or do i have to use sand?

thats all the questions i have for now sorry there so many i just want know some info before i start one so i dont kill any fish....thanks alot

Old 10-03-2004, 04:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Welcome!

1.) Sure 55 would be fine.

2.) Depends on the filtration you use, and whether or not you use Live rocks, sand, or a combination. The rocks can be dry (base, dead) or "live". Your LFS will have some, or you can order online. Depending on what type of LR you get, you may need to add a cocktail shrimp to get the cycle started. It will break down, generating ammonia -> nitrite -> nitrate. Another search on this site for LR.com or liverocks.com and you'll lots of happy customers. Cycle time could be as short as a few days or as long as a few weeks. Check your nh3/nh4, n02, and n03 levels. When nh3/nh4 and n02 are zero your cycle is done. Patience is a huge requirement in this hobby.

3.) Invest in a hydrometer. (<$20) These tell you the specific gravity of the water, and add salt until your SG is in the range you desire. When adding water to an existing system, one of the big things is to match the new water SG with the existing tank. Fish can tolerate a reasonable range in high or low SG but a quick swing will stress them. Note on adding salt: It is a great idea to mix the salt in a large container with a spare pump/powerhead overnight to make sure the salt has thoroughly dissolved before adding to the tank. Adding too soon will stress your livestock.

4.) You don't have to, but it will make your life much easier. The porous nature of the rock / high surface area cultivates good bacterial growth. More rock = more surface area = potentially more bacterial = lower ammonia levels = happier healthier fish. "Live" rock has been recently taken from either the ocean, or from an existing aquarium. If you are not in a hurry, you can get base or dead rock cheaper, and cultivate the bacterial colonies yourself.

5.) You can use either Lots of folks have strong opinions both ways. Some even go Bare bottomed with no substrate at all. Do a search for CC (crushed coral) DSB (deep sand bed) and BB (barebottom) to see what folks have to say about each.

No worries. I am a newbie myself - going on 3 months. You are off to a great start by doing your research ahead of time, and by caring about your livestock!

There is a 'recommended reading' section here also. Give it a look. -

Hope this helps-

Nate

Old 10-03-2004, 09:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

thank you so much you are such a good help thanks alot
Old 10-03-2004, 09:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

thank you so much you are such a good help thanks alot

Tags
salt, salt water, salt water tank, starting, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com