Thinking about starting a saltwater 30g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if you are not going to do regular water changes on that small of a tank, you are heading for trouble. Things will start dying and all of a sudden your tank will crash without you knowing it. It is much harder getting things back, more frustration than is needed, and all of a sudden one will get frustrated and leave this hobby. So for the 10 minutes it takes, it is well worth the effort

That link helped i favorited it on safari & J8kpin, how much water do you change per week or month. How do you know how much salt and water to mix before the change. Like let's say you wanted to change 10 gal, how much salt & water would you mix?

You put 10 gals of ro/di water in a bucket with a heater and power head and add a half cup per gallon of salt for most salts and let it mix for 24 hours

I use 2 5 gallon buckets, put my rodi water in it, each one has a power head and a heater . I then take my mix and add one of the red party cups of salt to each one. The salt instructions should help you out. I then let it mix for a day. I do 10% changes twice a month. For you, that would be like a 5 gallon change once a week, since you have a small tank, and plan to not have a protein skimmer. Here are some pics of my salt and my mixing area.

View attachment 230912 ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396201224.300381.jpg

[ here is the other pic

ATTACH]230914[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396201273.234394.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396201273.234394.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 72
So, if i was to do 5 gal/week, i would need 2 1/2 cups of salt? The heater is a must when mixing the salt? How many power heads should i buy for all of the changes and the tank. Do i have to do a change every week or could i make a bigger chnage every 2 weeks. Would this be possible if i get one of those HOB protein skimmers? do they act as filters?

So, if i was to do 5 gal/week, i would need 2 1/2 cups of salt? The heater is a must when mixing the salt? How many power heads should i buy for all of the changes and the tank. Do i have to do a change every week or could i make a bigger chnage every 2 weeks. Would this be possible if i get one of those HOB protein skimmers? do they act as filters?

Depends on the manufacturer.some will be that, it will tell you on the bucket. I happen to have my heater from my 10 gallon freshwater tank, and another for my quarantine tank. I use both for my mixing. For your size of a tank, it's a must. Just pick up one from the LFS. I do one per bucket of mixing water. I also use an airstone in each one. It may be able to do 10 gallon water changes 2 times a month, just get a HOB protein skimmer. They are a piece of filtration, but can't act like a full on filter. It would be like an add along. Overall, it would prevent ammonia and nutrients from building up

it would be easier for me to do 10g/ 2 weeks. when i do the water changes before i put in the water what is the recommended salinity, or just does it have to match the salinity of the tank and the temperature? Are the HOB protein skimmers expensive & idk i think it might be a problem becuase i have a lid on my tank that was like pre-cut with holes for the filter and heater. idk if i can cut a hole for it. how big do they tend to be? Also, what is substrate? some say that they hvae a crushed coral substrate and the other is sand?

The water has to be very similar to what's in the tank. Personally, I keep mine at 1.024 and that's that. Are you 100% on not getting a bigger tank? Like a 55? It will be easier for you with the managing of it all.

I am 10000000000% sure i am not getting a bigger tank. we hvae no more room! btw on that website, how do ik if its a HOB protein skimmer?

Look at the remora, or the skim slim skimmers. If you want to invest in good equipment, look at the eshopps one.

i heard alot of hate on the remora. i did much research but some say it is great and others say it is loud but could i put a sponge in it? Also, my tank is in between a patio door and a window & so the water evaporates. Will this be a problem for the tank because the salinity will go up? how do i make the salinity go down if the water does evaporate?

Good luck but honestly the saltwater tank may be above your experience level and time needed to maintain it. Its more of a commitment, and it will already be harder on you using a smaller tank and minimum filtration. If you go into it expect to spend close to an hour a week on it. I know some of you pros can handle it faster but for someone without the right equipment maintaining a 30 gallon saltwater can take some time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I said that the eshopps one is good. I use a lot of eshopps equipment on my filtration. Don't be discouraged, but he has a point. It will not be easy. But that's why we are here. Best of luck!

ik, i am only doing this to see if it is worth it. i dont want to give up on it, but idk if it is cost effective. i dont want to throw all of this money into it and then not do it. i am willing to handle the responsibilties of the tank, i am debating it becuase it is very delicate.

J8kpin, in the beginning you said i did not have to get a new filter, what was the media you suggested i should put in it? & approx how much live rock would i need to get. i am trying to come up with like a sum of the costs for everything besides fish.

What filter do you have? And LR will be abt 20-30lbs . It generally is about 5$ a pound. You can also use some dead rock, but try to use a lot of Live rock.

Live, dry, or base rock makes no difference, it will all be the same in the end.

I love my remora, so much so that I bought another one recently for my 40g. :)

i also run eshopps skimmers and again, like them so much for in sump use that I bought two.

A 30g is do-able but you really will have to work on a water change schedule. ANd you should have at least 5g on hand at all times in case something goes screwy with the water and you need immediate water. I had a 29g tank and did abotu 6-7g a week. ALso need a couple gallons a week of unsalted water to make up for evaporation.

Back
Top Bottom