Originally Posted by Exteremecheddar123
Jeh1487, I would love to have a 90 gal
but i live with my parents and they said they said that we cant have anything bigger than this 30. I have asked many times. I still want to try saltwater though. I had freshwater for 4 years.
1) ok does it pay to have a reef with all of the live corals and stuff in a tank as small as mine? The lighting i have has 42 white LED
lights and 3 blue LED
2) what is a sump? I have a aqua clear 50 HOB
Would I have to get a new filter?
3) is it necessary to have live rocks? Cause I have some shale in the tank currently or would it be too harmful.
4) I have an air pump hooked up in my tank now. Is it still necessary in a saltwater?
5) also I have those fake plastic freshwater plants. I have never seen those plants in a saltwater tank. Is is that you cannot put them in?
Thanks for both of your help!
First off no a 30 is not to small to start with.
1) you can do a reef if you want it's up to you, but I'm guessing you'll have to upgrade your lighting. Most reef lights are at least half blue lights so I kinda think you have a fw
2) the aqua clear will work fine, I would ditch all the media that comes with it and just run some CPE or purigen and a phosphate media if needed.
3) yes live rock is a must, you want about 1-1.5 lbs per gallon. You can look into dry rock or base rock if you want to save a little money but don't use the shale.
4) air stones are more of a fw
thing, and they spread salt creep in sw
tanks. Get a couple power heads to add flow and you'll be good.
5) there is nothing wrong with the fake plants, most people think the plain LR
looks better for fowlr
systems, and the plants will require regular cleaning.