Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-28-2014, 11:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thinking about starting a saltwater 30g?

Hello to all!
I have a 30 gallon tank which is currently freshwater but I was thinking of changing to to saltwater. I don't really know anything about saltwater tanks. I wanted to get some feedback to open my eyes about the responsibilities before i switch. I need like a saltwater 101 class for simple things even like filtration needs and water changes.
Thanks for the help !

Old 03-29-2014, 02:44 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hey man,

A 30 gallon is ok for a starter, if you are willing to take care of it. Marine aquariums are beautiful and amazing, yet require so much more care than freshwater. You can do a canister filter, but a sump is also an option. What lighting do you have? Are you doing fish only? Is it reef? Is it invertabre friendly??? This is info we would like to know. If you need a list of things necessary, here it is. You can use ur heater over if you want

Tank
Stand
Heater
Power head
Filtration
Protein skimmer
Lighting, depending on what you want to keep
Live Rock
Live sand
Algae scraper
Net
Test kits
Fish food
Supplements

And much more that I can't remember off the top of my head. Fish ideas are clownfish, green chromis, bangaii cardinals, and royal gramma. All are easy and very hardy. I have all in my 100 gallon reef tank. Any other questions, let me know!

Old 03-29-2014, 02:52 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

The post above has the right info but only thing I would say is go bigger and keep that tank as a freshwater setup since it already is I would say start off with 90 gal tank it's the best since maintenance is easy and has a large buffer for error
Old 03-29-2014, 09:57 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Jeh1487, I would love to have a 90 gal but i live with my parents and they said they said that we cant have anything bigger than this 30. I have asked many times. I still want to try saltwater though. I had freshwater for 4 years.
J8kpin,
1) ok does it pay to have a reef with all of the live corals and stuff in a tank as small as mine? The lighting i have has 42 white LED lights and 3 blue LED lights.
2) what is a sump? I have a aqua clear 50 HOB filter currently.
Would I have to get a new filter?
3) is it necessary to have live rocks? Cause I have some shale in the tank currently or would it be too harmful.
4) I have an air pump hooked up in my tank now. Is it still necessary in a saltwater?
5) also I have those fake plastic freshwater plants. I have never seen those plants in a saltwater tank. Is is that you cannot put them in?
Thanks for both of your help!
Old 03-29-2014, 11:36 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exteremecheddar123 View Post
Jeh1487, I would love to have a 90 gal but i live with my parents and they said they said that we cant have anything bigger than this 30. I have asked many times. I still want to try saltwater though. I had freshwater for 4 years.
J8kpin,
1) ok does it pay to have a reef with all of the live corals and stuff in a tank as small as mine? The lighting i have has 42 white LED lights and 3 blue LED lights.
2) what is a sump? I have a aqua clear 50 HOB filter currently.
Would I have to get a new filter?
3) is it necessary to have live rocks? Cause I have some shale in the tank currently or would it be too harmful.
4) I have an air pump hooked up in my tank now. Is it still necessary in a saltwater?
5) also I have those fake plastic freshwater plants. I have never seen those plants in a saltwater tank. Is is that you cannot put them in?
Thanks for both of your help!
First off no a 30 is not to small to start with.
1) you can do a reef if you want it's up to you, but I'm guessing you'll have to upgrade your lighting. Most reef lights are at least half blue lights so I kinda think you have a fw plant light.
2) the aqua clear will work fine, I would ditch all the media that comes with it and just run some CPE or purigen and a phosphate media if needed.
3) yes live rock is a must, you want about 1-1.5 lbs per gallon. You can look into dry rock or base rock if you want to save a little money but don't use the shale.
4) air stones are more of a fw thing, and they spread salt creep in sw tanks. Get a couple power heads to add flow and you'll be good.
5) there is nothing wrong with the fake plants, most people think the plain LR looks better for fowlr systems, and the plants will require regular cleaning.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:46 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok i really think it would be in my best option just to stay away from the reefs since i am new to this & what is this media that I would put in the filter. 2 i researched a bit about sumps and protein skimmers and I have a feeling they won't work for my tank cause my tank is a half-moon shape. The stand is really small cause it is seperated into 2 sections. Attachment 230707Attachment 230708 is it really necessary to have a sump and protein skimmer because from what I understand, it wouldn't work for my tank.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:51 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

No a sump or skimmer isn't necessary on a tank this size, that being said they do sell hob skimmers and a skimmer is never a bad thing to have. Water changes done weekly willbe able to handle your nutrient export. CPE = chemi pure elite, and purigen are both brands
Old 03-29-2014, 11:52 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396104712.911177.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	233.0 KB
ID:	230709Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396104736.760126.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	230710
I don't know if those worked so Imma try again
Old 03-29-2014, 04:41 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I dont think it is feasible to do water changes every week for me to be honest
Old 03-29-2014, 04:44 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thinking about starting a saltwater 30g?

Why? They only take like 10 minutes

Tags
ate, salt, saltwater, star, start, starting, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com