Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-02-2016, 05:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thinking about taking the plunge

Hi guys....its been awhile since i made any posts here..

I have a 29g long, 36x12x16 fluval tank that i had running as an african cichlid tank (that has all but self destructed since my jewel went ballistic and killed off all but 1 tank mate) and my wife and i have tossed out the idea of a simple fowlr marine tank because we are kinda done with the africans and their agression. Everything running on the tank is what came with the kit so i have a 150 watt heater, a c3 filter, and a t8 fluorescent light, can anyone give me any idea of what i would need to do to upgrade and switch this tank to a marine tank? And roughly what it could cost to make the switch?

Thanks everyone

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Old 07-02-2016, 06:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hi. Am guessing your in the U.S so I can't say prices being from the UK. them lights as far as I know will be ok for fowlr but if you wanted corals in the future the lights would have to be upgraded. You will need a protien skimmer, powerheads for moving the water around your tank, live rock and I would advise on a good testing kit. You could go down the route of a sump to house equipment and help filtration. I have been using a canister filter for 2 years but am about to upgrade my tank and run a sump. Hope this helps a little. Am sure will add to this advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 07-02-2016, 06:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Actually i'm in canada.. Lol it helps a bit on some things that i'll need, looks like its time to seriously hit the research books

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2016, 02:53 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah I missed that you'll need to research. Keep reading threads on here you can learn a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 07-18-2016, 04:47 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

A simple FOWLR you can do on a budget. Your main expenses will be rock, sand, water and salt.
Depending on how successful you want to be and how much maintenance you are willing to do on the tank will decide on whether you want to plump in a sump, add a skimmer, refugium etc.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com