Thinking about trying reef in the future

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hondatek

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I'm thinking maybe a year down the road after I'm settled in my new home to try a reef tank. The spare tank I have is a 33 long which is 4 feet long a foot wide and a foot tall. What would be the best lighting for it and how many bulbs? I don't know if it makes a difference that the tank is so short if the watts per gallon rule still apply s . Also would a tank that size need a skimmer?

If proper weekly water changes are done you could probably get away without a skimmer, but alot depends on the tank at that size in my opinion.

A regular 4 bulb T5 would work on that as the depth isnt anything special. Not sure that woudl make a good fish tank though. I would end up making it a coral tank with that much length. LOL

The watts per gallon rule is pretty much useless i think, it depends on soo many factors that a simple division to obtain the watts per gallon wouldnt be helpful, but thats just me and I'm just now researching par and pur in lighting. I do know t5' though and thats the way i would go typically.

Yep, I think that would be fine. :) You could get a few other fish too, just can't get anything big as the width is only 12 inches and the fish would need room to turn around. LOL Corals in my opinion would grow great in that tank due to the depth. The only issue I can see is if you went with a canister filter the intake would be quite long and possibly be too close to the sandbed. A hang on filter like the aquaclear 110 or even the AC 70 has a long intake tube as well. I have an AC 70 in my 20L and the intake is only and inch or two from the bottom and the flow from the return of the filter makes quite the mess of my sand. :)

But these i guess are questions for another day.....

As long as the stem from the intake isnt on the sandbed then sure why not? I'm not sure if the the penguin is enough filtration and what size tank its meant for though,sorry. if its rated for over 55g or so then youll be fine as far as filtration. i woudl measure the input tube and make sure its not too much longer than say 7 inches. You dont wanna be sucking up sand all the time. LOL

Good plan, that was my next suggestion if it was too long. LOL

And yep, if its rated for that big of a tank then youll be fine. It's mostly to capture particulate matter floating in the water as your live rock does about 80% of the actual filtration. :) You can also add carbon or gfpo into the filter when and if needed.

Cool deal I'm excited but I have to put it in the back of my mind lol . Do you have any good websites to read about different corals?

If you are a year away,I would take a close look as the LED light systems as they improve.In a year prices should be down and the options should be a lot better.

Yea your probably right about that one.so I have a question about corals. Since the tank is only a foot tall and different corals need different flow and light is that going to be hard to recreate those different conditions in a tank that short?

i'm working on those logistics right now in my rimless. I have too much flow already and the light seems to be too much. I'll let you know what i decide on doing or you can check out my rimless build thread

Back
Top Bottom