Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-23-2008, 05:09 PM   #21
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

You can get Base Reef Rock from Ebay for about $1.50 per pound with shipping, out the door. Just use that and then all you need is one piece of Live Rock to seed all of your base rock. Figure 50-pounds of base rock will cost you about $75. then you can get a decent skimmer like the Octopus NW-110 for I am guessing about $125. So all you need to come up with for the rock and the skimmer is roughly $200. DO IT!!!

Old 08-23-2008, 06:51 PM   #22
AA Team Emeritus

$200. I can totally do that.

Do I need to cure and clean the baserock before adding it to the tank if there are no inhabitants? Is it better to do it all in a tub before adding it to the tank?

Old 08-23-2008, 11:21 PM   #23
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

It really depends on your base rock. The base rock I got from ebay had not actually been on a reef and in the ocean for about a million years, so I was able to put it right in the tank. Just for the heck of it, I did put it in a bucket with saltwater and a powerhead for a few days. Then I tested the water, everything was 0 as expected. However, if the rock was recently live and now is dry base rock, then you would have to be careful and cure the base rock first. I will see if I can find the person that I got mine from off ebay, if you got it from her too, you wouldn't have to cure it. As far as the skimmer I recommend this one as a good skimmer on a budget, for your 46-gallon tank. http://www.aquacave.com/octopus-nw-1...immer-750.html
Old 08-24-2008, 01:37 PM   #24
AA Team Emeritus

Nice! Thanks. .. will that work in a 10 gal sump or should I use a larger sump? I think I will have room for a larger one say 20 gal if I remove the shelf under the stand.

I keep working on the hubby...he has practically given me the ok without doing so directly so I think I will be on track for a winter time project with this.

So that means I can probably start buying the less expensive things and putting them in a box to get ready.

So any good recommendations on pumps or powerheads?
Old 08-25-2008, 04:13 AM   #25
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Dont you already have pumps and powerheads from the FW that you can use in the start?
Old 08-25-2008, 11:26 AM   #26
AA Team Emeritus

Well I have a penguin 660 and then there is the HOT magnum filter that I have that although it is over 10 yrs old it still seems to work fine and might do better without media. I also have a small AC powerhead.

I do have a pump from a water fountain (of the small garden variety) that I will not be using outdoors now as the fountain broke. I am not sure how powerful it is though. And I have a magnum 350 that I retired from an old tank a while back....the media basket was destroyed but it may also work empty just as a pump so I welcome any thoughts on the stuff I already have.
I am currently trying to figure out how to set up the sump using the 10 gal tank I have. I saw another post with links to an overflow box from DFS for under $40 and I think it looks like an ideal way to get the water down there.

What say the experts?

The only other thing holding me back at the moment is the RO/DI issue since this will likely require my husbands involvement to install and that is usually where things break down. Not to mention I need to find a good one at the right price. But I am going to town and will price them at Lowes today. The other good thing with that is that it will be useful for more than just the fish tank so I think I can sell that idea fairly easily.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:26 PM   #27
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

You may need a powerhead and pump then, I can give you links later, I have to get to work now. But quickly I wanted to say that IMO the water units are Lowes are not good enough. Only for the reason that they are RO only and not RO/DI. At least thats how it was at my Lowes and Home Depot. I just used Distilled water from the grocery store for about 5-months and then I finally broke down and bought a RO/DI from ebay for under $200. They do have some on there that can be used as drinking water/RO water. Then you can direct the RO water through the extra "DI" chamber and make your RO/DI water for your reef tank. Maybe you can talk your husband into one like that.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:04 PM   #28
AA Team Emeritus

That sounds great. I talked to him about it a bit this morning and he really liked the idea of having one for our drinking water so I am sure if I can find a decent deal on ebay that would be awesome.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:50 AM   #29
AA Team Emeritus

If you can beleive it....my husband is already thinking ahead to the eventual upgrade to a larger tank.
Get this...we walked into the livingroom and he started looking all around and said....I need to make the house bigger so you can have a BIG tank. You will not be satisfied with the 46 for long honey but if you can make due with it maybe it can help you get started for a much bigger tank down the road when we have A ROOM for it.

You could knock me over with a feather.....my GOD I love that man! Then he talked about building an addition that is sort of a library/sitting room planned with plumbing in all the right places to make mainenance easy. drool....drool.

I guess I am lucky that he is a builder even if it is just in his spare time. I suppose this is his way of being involved in my hobby even if he is ambivalent about it at times....saying.....it serves no purpose other than the fact that I like it....apparently the fact that I like it is enough.

I am all confused and excited now. lol
Old 08-26-2008, 03:10 PM   #30
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Nice! So are you going to skip on the 46 and go big?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com