Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-26-2008, 03:42 PM   #31
AA Team Emeritus

Well I am not entirely certain....I was thinking that if I went ahead and did the 46 I would probably still be able to use most of the things (especially the rock) in a bigger tank later on. It would still give me a chance to get used to the water change schedule and everything.

Going ahead with it would kind of give me a practice run and give me a chance to learn a lot about SW before planning a larger scale project.

Could I do the 46 without a sump? Perhaps it is doable with a light bioload? That could save some money. And I could certainly wait and not upgrade the lights until I do the larger tank.

Also if I don't do the conversion on the 46 I may have to wait a year or longer...since the room is not even built yet. I would definitely be looking toward something over 100 gal since my husband and I both agree even the 90 gal FW tank is just not bigenough. We were thinking more of a 6 ft tank...don't know how many gallons but we even decided that the scratched up 55 gal acrylic tank that I just retired would make an excellent sump for a larger tank.

I am somewhat torn though when I look over at the 46 gal tank currently inhabited by angelfish, knowing that the system has been perfectly balanced as a FW system for the last year. It is planted and pretty but I just don't really need to mess with it anymore. (Aside from the regular feedings, maint and weekly water changes)

I honestly have been going over all the possibilies in my head, thinking of getting a large school of neons or something instead of the angelfish but I think ultimately that will be a waste of time and money since I am kind of getting bored with that tank.

Maybe I have MTS so bad because I really enjoy a good project.

I think if there was a market for it here (and I was independantly wealthy) I would have a fish store just so I could satisfy my MTS. lol

So I don't know....what do you think? Should I wait and save the money for the larger tank project or wet my salty appetite with this one?

What would you do if it were you?

Old 08-26-2008, 04:12 PM   #32
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
You can run it without a sump. My 55 doesn't have a sump. I just run a filter and LR/sand for my filtration needs.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:16 PM   #33
AA Team Emeritus

So in that case it just needs a skimmer and power heads? (In addition to the live rock and sand)

Maybe this is a dumb question but after I start this tank and get it going....then after I am ready to set up the larger one later on...couldn't I use some of the rock out of this tank to seed the new one....in essence that is all live rock is right? Rock that is well seasoned with the bio filter established?

Then if I want to take the 46 offline I can use all of the rock....and if I want to use it as a QT or a species only tank then I would just leave most of it in but use a portion of it to seed the new BR ...right? Or am I missing something?
Old 08-26-2008, 06:46 PM   #34
AA Team Emeritus

Nope, no dumb questions that I see. Very well thought out questions.
LR means it is hosting the beneficial bacteria.
When you plan on an upgrade you will want to use new sand in the new tank (otherwise, you can stir up some nasties). You can help to seed the new tank with a cup or two of your live sand.
LR will help seed BR and also help to cover it in coraline.
You really should set a QT from the start.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 08-26-2008, 06:54 PM   #35
AA Team Emeritus

Oh yes, well how silly of me....lol. Of course I should have a QT. I can see it now....eyeing every available corner in the house thinking how I can squeeze in just one more...lol.

OK well I hope that the spare 10 gal I have will suffice for a QT tank. I can fit that one almost anywhere.

Or can I do like I have done on the FW tanks and run a HOB filter on the existing tank and then take it out and put it on the 10 gal whenever I need to QT a new arrival or have need of a hospital or jail tank....??
Old 08-26-2008, 06:58 PM   #36
AA Team Emeritus

Yep, you can do that as well, and a 10G will be fine.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 08-26-2008, 07:04 PM   #37
AA Team Emeritus

Excellent! How very exciting. I am about 90% decided to go ahead with the 46 conversion. I think it would be a good idea to try it out. I have been doing FW for so many years trying to satisfy the craving for something that I always thought would be far to difficult for me to manage.

Now, the more i read the less complicated it seems.
Thanks so much to all of you. I am sure I will have some more questions at some point.

For now my mission is to get that RO/DI unit and slowly find new homes for the fish and plants in the 46.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:20 PM   #38
AA Team Emeritus

We'll be here eagerly awaiting pics...err um, I mean questions.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 08-26-2008, 07:28 PM   #39
AA Team Emeritus

You got it! I already evicted a couple of very large plants to the 90 gallon so I guess in a way....it has begun....lol.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:28 PM   #40
AA Team Emeritus

Lol!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com