Thinking it over again...help me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happygirl65

Aquarium Advice Addict
OK so I am thinking it over again.
Some of you migt know I am into the FW and planted tanks currently running a 90 gallon FW and a 46 gallon FW tank. Both heavily planted high tech etc.

I do love them and don't want to get rid of them persay but I am looking to try my hand at SW.

I have been considering changing the 46 gallon bowfront to SW and just maintaining the 90 for FW (it has my discus which I can't part with and they need a large volume of water)

So I do want to do a reef one day for sure....I love taking my son to the dentist because I get to stare at their reef for a long time...lol.

So my current set up as FW with my 46 gal tank is:
46 gallon tank (of course)
HOT magnum filter
250 w heater
pressurized CO2 system
pengin 660 powerhead
Also a smaller AC 60 powerhead retired from another tank.
and light which is 96 watt PC fixture.

So how much of this is useful? I think I have a good source for some LR if I can get it home without too much hassle (I live 90 miles from town) might mean several trips to get enough.

How much lighting is necessary for a reef? I might be able to trade some of it to the LFS for LR or livestock since everything they have seems to be used...lol.

The tank kind of needs to have a top on it (is this a concern?) at least a glass pr screen covering because my 3 yr old always likes to stick her hands where they don't belong...she also likes to "feed the fishies" despite the food beingin a locked cabinet...which has resulted in discus death which I did not appreciate at ALL!

Any suggestions? I would LOVE to tell my husband that I almost have everything I need. :)

I also have a 10 gal tank available for a sump if it is needed.

I am in need of a winter project so I think this would be perfect to get my feet wet (or hands more literally) in SW so to speak. I am hoping I could do the conversion without spending too much money.

Also I am curious if I need to sterilize the tank completely to convert it from FW or if the benficial bacteria would survive the conversion? I suppose it would be better to start with a sterile environment eh? and fishless cycle the same as I would for FW?

One thing I have on my side is the fact that my husband was installing for one of our satellite customers the other day and saw a reef tank....he came home and made a point of telling me how very cool it was....so I think I have an in...lol.

So, if it were you what would you do?
All suggestions welcome. I would like to one day get a very large tank for a reef but would like to try it out with this one and see what all I need for the big one. I am getting kind of excited about it and I already know I will want clownfish so lets keep that in mind.

Thanks in advance to all!

oh yeah....and I am rather leary of drilling this tank so please tell me if it is possible to do without drilling it!

There is a lot of great info there, thanks.....I guess most if what I have is useful but I don't know if it is enough light or not with that fixture, and if 10 gal is enough for a sump.

I think the other things I need are a skimmer, hydrometer/refractometer

I think you will be good with everything you have except lighting.
The glass lid will trap heat and reduce O2 exchange, giving you a lower pH. Try using some egg crate (this still won't stop the accidental feedings).
FW and SW bacteria are different. You probably don't need to sterilize the tank unless you used meds (hopefully you haven't used copper based meds in it).
For a fishless cycle, I use 1 raw unseasoned jumbo shrimp per 30G of water for may ammonia source.
In SW the initial start up cost can be a little pricey but the monthly cost is pretty low.
The things I see you need are:
Refractometer
Lights (but that can come later)
Liquid test kits
Aragonite sand
rock (base rock is really cheap and can be seeded with LR, do 75% base to 25% LR)
You don't have to drill the tank to add a sump.
I have to be missing a few things, but can't seem to think of them....

Well that is good to know. The egg crate can work or maybe a screen of some sort that wont block too muchlight. I suppose moving all food to another room or to the cabinet above the fridge could also help. :)

I have never used a copper based med or any other med for that matter in this tank...though I did get it used so I don't know about that....this tank has been in my possession for a year though so hopefully there wouldn't be any residual traces still there...unless I am missing some vital info about that.

I think the lights are the most expensive aspect...correct me if I am wrong...and I think it should be possible to get started with the light I have. But what is the calculation for wpg on pc ligts for SW? Is it the same as FW? Because I think the pc is worth 1.7 wpg in the calculation which would give me 3.5 wpg and from what I am reading you need 4-6 correct? But would that only be necessary right before adding corals or other critters that need the increased light?

Could I get it going and cycled, add fish and clean up crews then upgrade the light later on? Don't most corals need a well established tank anyway?

Also if anyone can recommend a really great book to purchase about all of this tht could be helpful. I know there is a lot of info online but sometimes it is still helpful to have a book handy at times.

You could do a FOWLR (fish only with live rock) tank with the lighting you have, and once you get the hang of things, upgrade the light down the road to something more reef-like.

The canister would be OK for water movement (i.e. empty) but you might need some bigger powerheads. One of the big differences I noticed with SW vs FW was the large amount of water flow needed. You could do a sump or fuge if you want to but it is not necessary. A skimmer might be nice too.

One good book is the Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Bob fenner. His filtration ideas are a little out of date (using just LR, a skimmer and PHs for circulation is the typical mode at the moment) but there is a lot of good info in the book.

The watt per gallon is not really a good measure since different bulbs have different penetrating power. I don't have much experience in corals so I will defer to the resident experts to guide you on coral selection.

You should be OK on alot of soft corals and some LPS corals. Check out my tank in my sig. Alot of those corals I had in my 55 with the same lighting. I have since upgraded to the 125 and doubled the wpg and they are growing by leaps and bounds. As I said you will be OK on alot of corals. Just no high light or high intensity lighting.

I really dont have a problem upgrading the lighting down the road. I have also been reading about calcium reactors which would mean my preasureized CO2 system would still be usefull.....

Darn it....everything I am reading is making me consider converting the 90 gal instead....I already have higher light on that one too....SAVE ME from myself! AAAAGGGGHHHH!

Those are fantastic! I am drooling...I am torn....so torn.....it is nice to know I could start with some things prior to upgrading the light even, that is very encouraging!

:cool:Well, the 90 does have a 4x65w pc fixture with moonlights and space underneath for a larger sump. It seems like the more logical choice but I do love those discus.....:rolleyes:

The calcium reactor would probably only be necessary if you really got into SPS corals, which would definitely require more light than you have now. But shrooms and zoas and some leathers would probably do fine under your light and don't require any additives other than regular water changes.

As far as converting the 90, the 4x65 watt you have on that tank wouldn't be any better than the 96 watt on the 46 so you'd still be in the same boat.

For a hard-core reef tank with stony corals you'll be into T5s or MHs anyway.

OK, well I am liking this more and more.... :) I think I will keep the 90 as FW then and experiment with the 46 conversion.... you did it...you saved me from myself....lol.

Another question with the light....what type of bulb is required on the 96w fixture? Do I need to have a 50/50 or actinic bulb?

I had 4x39 watt T5 light on my 30g reef and I had 2 10000Ks and 2 actinics. So I think a 50:50 would be good. Plus they have a nice bluish light without being too blue and make everything look great (I have them on my planted tank too).

Too bad you hadn't decided all this a little while ago....I just broke down my reef tank and sold both my skimmer and lights, which would have fit your tank perfectly. Oh well.

Another question with the light....what type of bulb is required on the 96w fixture? Do I need to have a 50/50 or actinic bulb?[/quote]

I also vote for the 50/50 if you only have one 96watt bulb. Don't get an actinic, it will be too blue looking and it doesn't really provide much usable light for the corals you will add.

I talked to my husband last night about the possible conversion....he looked at me like I had two heads and said....what's wrong with it the way it is?
I told him I have always wanted a SW tank and he did admit they are very cool. He was mostly worried about how much it would cost of course....so I guess I better start saving to take away that obstacle. :)

Really, I see the biggest expense being the LR at this point and the skimmer. :) Especially since I can wait to upgrade the lighting for several months down the road.

Back
Top Bottom