Thinking need guidance/mentoring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Amazon, bulk reef supply, drs foster and smith, eBay, pet solutions, reefs 2 go(livestock), petco online(livestock in much better health than when you get them from most petco stores), reefcleaners, all are good sites that sell either livestock or supplies. I've always had good experience with these.

I would add Big Al's pets to that list. I have bought almost every piece of fish equipment I have from that site.

So I looked online at all the recommendations most don't ship to Canada or of they do the cost is crazy (minus big Al's they're Canadian)

I have bugged my wife and from what I can gather its actually a 90 gallon predrilled (it's her and my family getting it for me) but she's not doing the planning

So I am planning fowlr then turn it into a reef once I am more experienced in the salty side of aquariums.

I have begun to amass a stocking plan (I'm sure it will change a few times after input). Please let me know if I'm totally off or some suggestions on other options

2 clown fish (looking at all the different variations)
1 flame angel
2 royal gamma basslet
1 six line wrasse
1 anthias (not sure exact type)
1 Kaudern's Cardinal
1 spotted cardinal
1 blue dot jaw fish
Shrimps, hermit crab, snails....cleanup type guys

Would love also but not sure compatible:

A morray or snow flake eel
Some sort of puffer

This is really a preliminary list I'm just staring to research

You've got a nice sensible list. Of course you can add to it, some of those single fish might like to have company. :)

The eel or puffer i believe will eat your inverts. :-(

Some anthias can be hard as far as eating. My squarebacks wouldnt touch anything but frozen and it took a few days for them to even attempt to eat it.

Good luck, a 90g is a nice tank, I love mine. :)

I like to hear it is sensible and there is room for more stock

I was worried about aggression with more then 1 of most species. I would be happier with pairs or more.

I still have a bit of time before I get the aquarium but I want to be ready

Planning the stock list is half the fun! I'm already thinking stocking for my upcoming build and it will be a good 2 months before i can start. lol

Planning the stock list is half the fun! I'm already thinking stocking for my upcoming build and it will be a good 2 months before i can start. lol

I agree planning the stock is always one of my fav things about the hobby. As I said before been on the fresh side for decades. I am about 2 months also away from getting the tank (unless I get my bday present early). But I feel like an true greenhorn when it comes to salt and I hate to fail so I'm starting the planning now

My favorite part is slowly adding the livestock and seeing my vision come to be

If you are planning to go reef one day be careful of the fish you stock and also try and keep your nitrate and phosphate in control from now are it will cause you more problems when going to reef.

Flame angels are 50/50 chance of being reef safe mine ate all softies

That's what I was reading today. Are there any dwarf angels that are reef safe ? I know the tank will be too small for a larger one

I have a flame, black tail and coral beauty that are all quite old. They all have grown up with lots of coral. Angels peck at everything. But mine don't eat polyps. If your corals are small, the pecking could cause a problem, but larger corals don't seem to mind. Clams are out of the question if you have angels, IMO.

My flame angel would peck at my corals but thankfully they are large enough to where it wouldn't harm them, I also have a pair of black ocellaris clowns that are very cool but hard to find as adults, I bought mine as juveniles and they only have a little bit of orange left on their faces

Back
Top Bottom