Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-29-2004, 02:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Thinking of adding some fish...

I currently have a 210gal with an Orange Shoulder, Naso, Black Longnose, and 4 percs. Well the wife and I went to Hawaii and went diving and saw all the triggers and really missed them. I had a Niger, a Pineapple (LFS's name for it, never figured out what it was), and a rectangle before this tank. So I was thinking of adding a Niger to the tank. SO my concern is, is that going to be to much fish because I would like to add a couple of gobies also. The wife wants a schooling fish and all the ones she wants are going to get to big so the LFS has 2 yellow watchman gobies paired in a tank and she said she could live with that.

So, is a niger and 2 gobies to much fish for my tank? (The niger is only 2" right now a lot smaller than the other fish, except one perc) Also, what are some good gobies (colorful) that will actually clean the sand? I know about the Lawnmower blennies, dragon goby, etc... but those are pretty much black and white.

THe Orangeshoulder is about 6", the Naso is about 4", and the Black is about 4" right now.

Sorry so long. Wanted to make sure I got everything out.

angnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 03:42 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

On the schooling issue... do the percs school? The 2 watchman gobies are simply gonna hang out at the bottom, and most likey under different rocks with no pistol shrimp to watch out for. Definitely no schooling effect there. And of course if you do the trigger, say goodbye to shrimp anyway I believe.

Check Liveaquaria.com and look at the gobies there. There are plenty that sift sand. Some more than others. I kinda like the two-spot gobies in a pair. I lost mine to an outbreak months ago, but there are those who say they don't live long anyway. They only got to 3 inches or so. Other sand sifters got to 5 inches and moved too much sand for my taste.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 04:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
If you want pretty schooling fish, go with green or blue-green chromises. They're always schooling. Wolf
Tank: 55 Gallon
The equipment: Coralife 4x65w (2x10k; 2xActinic), Emperor 400, 2 PH
The Fish: black maroon clown, neon goby, yellow watchman goby, 3 blue-green chromis, royal gramma, and a yellow clown goby.
The Coral: zoos, kenya trees, shrooms, leathers, hammer, and star polyps
The Inverts: LT anemone, pistol shrimp, urchins, etc.
The Janitors: nassarius snails, turbos, hermits, several brittle and serpent stars
The Rock: 68# of Keys-12# Base Rock; from LR.com
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 04:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Those are some spectacluar surgeons. I think you will be fine in a 210G tank. That is a nice size to have for them. Send some pics!

Salttanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 05:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular
The percs are two orange and two black so they don't mingle all that much. We are trying to stay away from Chromis. I have checked out LiveAquaria. The niger I use to have never bothered any of my inverts, shrimp included. I have heard and read that the niger is pretty tame. I am not looking for the gobies to school, just hang out together. She likes the whole buddy system thing. The old niger hung out with my old PB tang. It was very interesting. Salt, I will post some pics later. (I am at work now). Thanks everyone. Any more thoughts on the subject are always welcome.
angnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 07:25 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Not too many fish school in an aquarium setting. thre is really no need as there is no threat. Blue=green chromis do schol in captivity. Also, you may want to consider the heniocus bannerfish. three or four of those would make a nice school. You shoul be okay in a 210 gal, but they do grow pretty big.

lando is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com