Thinking of adding to my reef. I want an opinion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spoonmerlin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 70 gal reef tank that finished its cycle about 2 weeks ago. The ammonia and nitrites are 0 and all other perametes have been stable.

I have a DSB and 40lbs of LV with 60Lbs of base rock with the LV from LR.com so it has plenty of life.

I put in 5 emerald crabs and 5 pepermint shrimp. I see them ocationally but I can't swear all are alive as there is pleanty of places to hide.

There are 2 chocolate ship stars, snails, and a few other interts.

There is an type of Xenia but I can't remeber the name and an orange tree gorgonian. My lights are 2 96watt PC. There is 2 PH for water flow both have a guard on the intake to prevent something getting stuck to them.

I have 4 domino damsels and no other fish. I have a very large wet/dry and a large P.S. both rated for over 200 gals.

So...

I want to add a couple more fish in the next few weeks.

Here is what I'm thinking for 1 but will look for suggestions for any others. Keep in mind I'm not rich and live in Chicago where prices can be a bit higher. I also plan to add some more coral frags at some point.

I want to add a tang (not a yellow one something different)

So on my budget and tank size
I was thinking of:

Scopas, Kole Yellow eye, Or convict tang. I'm only adding one and that will be either the last fish or maybe a few bottom dwellers.

Any good coral frags suggestions or bottom dwellers you think would go well.

Any other info you need? I probally gave to much as it is.

Yur chocolate chip stars may eat your snails someday. Also, they are not considered reef safe from eveything I've read. What is it that you want ultimately? A tang, what you've got now, and bottom dwellers? Gonna QT the 2 new fish together?

May have to re-think your plan by developing yur ultimate goal and researching for compatabiity issues before you add anything. The first site I googled on the chocalate chip was very clear about incompatablity with reef tanks.

I've got a yellow eye kole in QT now. Just getting over a ick outbreak and doing better now. It's awfully skiddish still, but getting better and picking off the glass. I'm hoping he'll do well with my yellow tang later and take care of the rocks for me.

Yeah, chocolate chip starfish love to eat corals...they are NOT reef safe. brittle stars, serpent stars, and sand sifting stars are reef safe, so you're set on corals (and most of us are) then you should see if your LFS will trade in your chocolate chips for some credit towards reef safe stars.

Get rid of the CC stars, they will park themselves on your coral and munch away. Also, you might want to consider ditching the damsels, they can be very mean. Good luck...Lando

Yep CC starts are bad... :D

but since you tank is still new I would recoment some bullet proof frags. Like leather frags, Xenia (not bullet proof but you should be able to snag some from someone near you) Look at some zoos just get some to get you going doesn't have to be the prettiest :wink:

What kind of lighting are you using?

I know I won't be able to keep the CC stars forever but my glass is pretty algae covered and the snails aren't helping and they do. After that settles down I'll trade them in. I'm more intrested in the question about the tangs.

It does seem like everyone has a yellow tang in their tank, but they are truly the hardiest of them all. I'm still quite a NOOB (7 months) ... I even cycled my tank the first time with a yellow tang in it. *gasp* That same tang is still alive and as spunky as ever. Have you thought about a hippo tang? (it looks like Dory from Finding Nemo)
Also, a BIG help for the algae on the glass is a magnet you can get at your LFS. It basically sandwiches your aquarium walls, so you can scrape the crud off from the outside without getting it all over yourself. The snails' appetites do seem to taper off after a while. Hope this helps! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom