Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-07-2006, 11:29 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Thinking of buying an established reef tank

I know someone has a beautiful SW / Reef setup that they need to sell. I am wondering how much work it would be to care for this tank with no experience. I have had a freshwater tank in the past, but I know that the comparison is not exactly valid. I need your advice!

55 gallon saltwater tank with stand and canopy top. There is a ton of live rock and coral star polops, torch coral, bubble coral, lots of mushrooms a few different types of sponge, and some other coral. I dont know what the names are. There are 3 fish: 1 clown and 2 damsels, 1 feather duster, sandstar, 15 snails, a few crabs, sea cucumber. There are 2 maxie jet power heads, brand new bacpak protein skimmer, not sure about the filter but I think it's a good one. 2 metal halide lights (6 month old bulbs) and 2 moon lights. The electric system was professonally wired, there are a ton of extras to go with the tank, the tank has been established for 3 years.

He is asking $850 for the setup......Is this a good price? Can a novice really care for a tank / setup like this?

Would this be able to be safely moved and setup? I live across the street from our LFS and this site would be extremely helpful, but I'm worried about being able to do this without the experience.

What else would I need to know?

Questions to ask this guy?

My number one concern would be the wellfare of the fish / coral? I don't want to kill this beautiful tank! I know, like with any hobby, a lot of research, time, and money is required and I'm willing to learn and put in the work, but I want to get as much info as possible before making this decision.

Honest advice and opinions appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coral_112.jpg (29.0 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg coral_1_933.jpg (27.4 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg inside_tank_183.jpg (17.1 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg tank_pic_174.jpg (21.4 KB, 143 views)

nawlins9175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:45 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Might wanna check out this recent thread...

The key is reading good articles, books, and asking questions - - be careful though, in my personal opinion it gets kinda old when folks ask about EVERYTHING all the time. It becomes obvious when someone doesn't read much on their own and look for hand holding all the way.

Anyway, enuf of my rant on that. Looks like a decent tank. Not sure I can offer input on the asking price. I had a similar situation with a 72g, stand and all setup stuff I'm trying to sell. No hood, w/4x65PCs lights (cheaper and less output than MH) for about the same price. No livestock either with mine. Not sure If I'm high or low on mine either.

But I like to tell folks to scratch the itch anyway, so I'd so go for it if you get the right price.

Good luck.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to jasno999 Send a message via MSN to jasno999
What is this persons name, number and address cause I will offer $1000 for the tank.

Really for the equipment along you are getting a deal - nevemide the livestock.
jasno999 is offline   Reply With Quote

reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com