Thinking of changing to reef setup... Need advise!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am trying to decide on stocking and I'm lolling at tge flame angel, lemon peel angel and coral beauty angel. Would they get along?

You can only get one dwarf angel, or else they will probably rip each other apart :(. There shouldn't be more than one. Personally I love the flame angel the best for the most popping colors and I'm sure it will be a favorite of anyone who walks in to see it!

I had a feeling that would be the case. Does anyone have experience with any of the 3? I think all 3 are beautiful in different ways.:thanks:

Lindsay

So far just green and orange spotted ones. I like the Catalina a lot but it requires a lower temp. Any other suggestions would be great as I am just starting to learn about marine fish.:fish2:

Lindsay

Well it depends on what other fish you want to keep...the only green goby I am thinking of is a clown goby and those are EXTREMELY small. I saw one at my lfs and it was half the size of my fingernail!!! Since they only grow up to a 1.5 inches, they could be someone's lunch :eek:! Probably best for nano tanks so you can actually find them! Yeah I wanted to get a catalina goby too, but thats just another fish I can't get :lol:. There's really no need to get 2 sand sifting gobies as one will clean up the sand just fine! The orange spotted one you are referring to is I think called a diamond watchman goby. That would be awesome to have a pair with the watchman and a shrimp! I think all of the gobies look great so I couldn't really decide what to advise you to get as they are all pretty cool. I love the blue neon gobies, but they are small and might be picked on depending on your other fish.
Gobies

So I'll go with the orange spotted, I called it that BC that's what it was called at the lfs. I am really new to this as this is my 1st saltwater tank. Other fish I am thinking of is 1 dwarf angel( undecided), 1 purple firefish, 1 clownfish( my daughter would kill me if I didn't get nemo:), carpenter flasher wrasse, and maybe a kole tang. How do you pair gobies? Would you have to buy them already paired? I know with fresh water you buy more and let them pair off, is that the same? Was thinking of a pair of clowns too, so same question for them. Any other fishes I should look at? I love hearing what peoples favorite fish are. :thanks:

Lindsay

Purple firefish are GORGEOUS! I'm planning on getting one in a few weeks, but I heard they are shy (a dartfish, so they can swim really fast to hide) so I'll be crossing my fingers that it will come out and eat regularly! The carpenter flasher wrasse is stunning also. I think buying them paired would be best...don't know how aggressive they can be if they are the same species and not paired. You can buy 2 clownfish, but since they are the same size (born without gender) they fight it out until one of the clownfish becomes the female(larger) and the other the male. As a pair, I believe they are more aggressive than just one alone, but pairs look great together. In my preference, I'd get them already paired instead of maybe having one killed (the female can hog up all the food and nip at the male I believe?). At my lfs it's only $10 more for clownfish that are already paired. I only got one though, and my clownfish and chromis are best friends! :D

I was just reading how sand sifters can actually eat all the; good stuff in the sand. Should I just avoid getting the goby? The carpenter wrasse, do I need to find a pair at a lfs, or is it like the clown? Thanks.

Lindsay

Clowns don't need to be paired, it's just your preference. If you have a pair that's one less fish and less variety, but a pair looks beautiful together. It's really what you want, the clownfish will be fine either way. I haven't ever seen a pair of gobies...I'd say you only need one of the species. They take a huge gulp of sand and sift the sand from the detritus and eat little pieces of food and organisms in the sand and "spit" out the sand through it's gills! I think that's pretty cool, but I guess that's just me. It's the average blue/green chromis. They are a great starter fish when your tank is done cycling as they are pretty active, hardy, cheap and eat like pigs. I bought 3 (they are a grouping fish so 2 or more is best) and 2 of them disappeared and I haven't seen them since I got them (month ago) so I don't know what happened. The last chromis started to hide until I put in the clownfish and now he comes up right to the glass wanting food. They get lonely if there's nobody else around and might just hide and not eat and die :(. So how's your list coming along now? Can't remember if you decided on a sump. And regarding lighting (although this is pretty late), theres some really cheap T5 HOs which I've heard grow corals just fine. The brand is Odyssea and you can find short ones on aquatraders.com or larger sizes on ebay w/ free shipping. 48" Aquarium T5 HO Light 54W x4 LED Reef Fish Odyssea | eBay

Would carpenter wrasse need to be paired, if so do I buy them that way? The sump I was looking at got sold before I got down there. I think I will just use the Rena for now and upgrade later. I am just going to get a skimmer that can hob and go in sump. I think I am just gonna get some t5 bulbs for my setup and just get some softies and a few mushrooms for now then add stuff along the way. Any suggestions at other fish I should look at? Thanks.

Lindsay

Sounds like a good plan! Don't know much about carpenter's flasher wrasses, but I do know that wrasses tend to jump up when frightened so you'll def. want a lid or screen top (I think you have that canopy which might work, but try blocking the back if it's open). On liveaquaria it says that it's best to have a pair, but I think it will be fine if you have other peaceful fish in there to keep it company...not entirely sure about that though. The dwarf angel might pick on it since they are semi-aggressive...I'd say a cleaner shrimp or peppermint shrimp would be cool in there :).

Ok so I have a new stocking list for my 4', 70 gallon tank.
1 Flame OR coral beauty angel
1 clownfish
1 purple fire fish
1 yellow prawn goby & pistol shrimp
2 Lubbock fairy wrasse
1 kole tang OR fox face

How does that sound to everyone? Is it overstocked or would i have room to add more later? I know nothing about CUC, I only put the pistol shrimp bc of the symbiotic relationship with the goby. Any suggestions on how many and what I should get? Also, I know the angel should go in last so what order for the rest? I wanted to get some mushrooms, and a soft coral that the clown could host, any suggestions? Lastly, I have been reading about feather dusters, what lighting do they require? I've read different requirements. Thanks.

Lindsay

Reef octopus makes a good Skimmer. Sorry I didn't read all the way through are you gonna have a sump? Also I seen you wad talking about a carpenters flasher wrasse...awesome fish. A pair would be great I know they like a group of like 1 male and 4 or more females. I have a mccoskers flasher wrasse with a ocellaris clown in my 35. He'd a big show off. He flashes at his own reflection. Beautiful fish and looks awesome under atinic lighting. Here's an older pic of mine. It is so hard to get a good pic of him flashing cause he's super fast and camera shy. Also the camera phone does the colors no justice.

ForumRunner_20121001_211436.jpg

I definatley want a sump but to keep initial setup cost down, I think I am going to invest in good Skimmer and use my Rena xp3(canister filter) for some extra filtration. On that topic could I put some live rock crumbes and maybe some live sand in a filter bag to help with Bio? Then have some charcoal and maybe some sponges? I also have an extra tetra wisper 70 but am not sure it will fit on the back of my acrlic access hole. Which would be better? Later, I want to upgrade to a sump with a refugium in it? Not sure of that yet just starting to learn about the refugium. I will probably do that upgrade when I upgrade my light to make a full reef setup. Also, I wanted to order my power head or circulation pumps. Any recommendation, which is better? Thanks.

Lindsay

I would say the canister would probably be better. I've personally never had one but I know you gotta keep those suckers clean. The reason I asked about the sump wad to see if you wanted an HOB Skimmer or a regular one. Also if you need to drill your tank for the sump. When it is empty is the easiest way to do it. On the powerheads I read alot if people like tunze. I've always used hydor koralia evolution powerheads. Decent price and very excellent product!

Back
Top Bottom