Thinking of changing to reef setup... Need advise!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My husband said he would help with a sump if I could show him what he needed to do. I've found some DIY sump videos but not ones on drilling the tank to connect. Where would hole go? How big? Any help here would be great! Thanks.

Lindsay

I don't know for a fact but I think up near the top where the water surface would be that way of the power cuts off to the return pump only a little water would flow into the sump. That way it won't drain the whole tank into the sump and have a flood! I'm sure there is other ways but I've never done it. Hopefully someone with experience will chime in.

image-2117999262.jpg

image-1875071994.jpg

image-1741142008.jpg

Here is the top of my tank, are those holes for that? I just assumed it was for tubes, but there is one on each side along with a very small hole a few inches away. Thanks. Anyones help is greatly appreciated!

Lindsay

More than likely those holes are for cords for powerheads, heaters, etc... You can always give me your tank! I like it alot

Thanks, I've been working very hard on it to get it looking good. I guess I will just get a hob skimmer, I can't find a good you tube video explaining how exactly to make a sump and drilling holes. My husband is very handy but has NO knowledge of how aquarium stuff runs. I don't do a good job explaining, plus he is a see it kind of learner. I'll keep learning but I'm almost done with sanding and I want to get stuff ordered. If anyone knows of a good video on building sump and/or one about how and where to drill holes for plumbing, I would be greatly appreciative thanks.

Lindsay

How many gallons is it? I would definitely keep looking for a way to put in the sump. I want to on my tank so bad but don't know if my tanks sides are tempered glass or not and I don't want to risk crashing my whole tank. It adds more water volume and a place to hide heaters, Skimmers, macro algae and so on.

It's 70 gallons and 4 ft. I'll get my husband to watch a few I found tonight but to me it's very confusing. But I don't understand basic plumbing stuff. I hear the guy say it's that easy and I have no clue how it works.:( thanks.

Lindsay

How many gallons is it? I would definitely keep looking for a way to put in the sump. I want to on my tank so bad but don't know if my tanks sides are tempered glass or not and I don't want to risk crashing my whole tank. It adds more water volume and a place to hide heaters, Skimmers, macro algae and so on.

Sorry didn't mean to post that twice. At least its acrylic it'll be easy to drill. Plumbing is easy once you've done it before. I'd invest in PVC cutters to cut the pipe. You can pick some up for around 5 bucks or so. No mess and clean cut!

Back
Top Bottom