Thinking of changing to reef setup... Need advise!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lindsay1718

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just picked up a 70 gallon truvu acrylic tank with canopy and was thinking of starting my 1st reef tank. I have been doing freshwater for a while and I LOVE to look at saltwater tanks, so figured I might try it. It has a top with 2 access holes. The canopy has a double reflector we up with a coralife ballast for 2 65 watt setup. Could I use that and just get bulbs? It came w/ a Rena xp3, could I use that? I am now sanding it and getting it looking good, so I was just wondering what my options were. I am hoping to use as much stuff as I already have As I know it will be expensive. Here are some pics. Any advise would be great. Thanks.

Lindsay

image-1115190672.jpg

image-2795446144.jpg

image-1296375424.jpg

image-1296375424.jpg

image-268382907.jpg

Awesome and definitely build a reef tank! I think that's not enough light for corals and those aren't individual reflectors meaning not as much light bounces off of them as there would be with most other lights. For my 70 gallon tank I use a 60" Tek Sunlight Supply T5 HO 6 light fixture with 3 blue actinics, 2 50 white/50 blue I believe it's called and a purple light to make the coral color pop. My lfs has this exact light fixture on their frag tank and even sps are thriving!
T5 Tek Light Fixture - Bulk Reef Supply
However this new ecoxotic Panorama light looks great and $200+
Panorama Marine LED System
What fish/inverts/coral do you want (if you know)?
What supplies are you getting? You don't need a protein skimmer btw and that is less cost, but more water changes!

I'm not really sure. I had originally planned on African cichlids since they are bright. I am kinda intimidated on a reef. But I know my daughter would kill me if I did a saltwater an didn't include nemo and dory, lol. But I would need to do some research. Any suggestions? Could I use the Rena filter. I always here about sumps with saltwater. Would the tank be ok with the top? Could i use the canopy?Thanks.

Lindsay

I don't know if you would be able to keep a blue tang (dory) in a 90 gallon as they grow over a foot and usually need a 6' tank..everyone has their opinion on this matter. I was intimidated when I started first, but after researching for 1+ year before setting up, I saved headache, time, and money. Theres some really good articles on AA about beginning a tank and cycling it and such. A rena filter might work, although it could increase nitrates over time. Plus that means you wouldn't have a sump, or an in-sump protein skimmer. You don't necessarily need a skimmer, but it definitely helps to get out the organic waste, so if you don't get a HOB one or an in-sump one, then you should consider doing larger more frequent water changes. The tank is fine with the canopy.
For quick stats on fish/corals/inverts (and compatibility chart):
Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums
Other store for ideas on fish
Buy Saltwater Fish & Coral - Marine Fish, Live Coral, Salt Water Aquarium Fish, and Tropical Fish from BlueZooAquatics

Oh, I hadn't really started researching fish yet just the tank stuff. Maybe I could just find one similar. And maybe some that were in tank with nemo instead. It's her favorite movie so nemo would be her main concern. How much do sumps usually run. Could my husband make one, he is quite handy? Maybe I can sell some of the stuff that came with it to get some start up funds. The guy told me it used to be a freshwater, will that affect it? Thanks.

Lindsay

I just started looking and I love the dwarf angels. I am starting to think to keep cost down I might need to start with a fowler and later add some coral. I love the coral but I am not sure I can afford setting that up now. It sucks bc my Lfs is having their annual sale oct 9th and all fish are 50% off but my tank won't have time to cycle. What kind of lights do I need for just some live rocks?

You need an overflow (box or pvs pipe/can be homemade), some plumbing...and whatever size tank, like a 30 gallon tank ($30 for a 30 gallon visio glass tank). Then you buy pre-cut sheets of acrylic/polycarbonate (or you can cut them yourself) and just silicone them in however you want. A DIY sump <-- would cost about $50 for a 30 gallon, I'd say. $100 max for a larger size. However if you're ordering a pre-made sump they usually run about $250-500 depending. To me, that's outrageous! I have a 55 gallon tall sump b/c the dimensions of my tank are strange and I wanted a taller sump (usually sumps are only 17"-19" and I use an external pump. If you have an internal one, then account for that. Also, if you get a protein skimmer, make sure it will fit in the sump! Your husband could no doubt make one! You can watch youtube videos of how people did theirs, or look some designs online.

If it was used for FW make sure to clean it out really good. The waste will cause problems with the parameters. Dwarf angels are awesome, especially the flame ones! I wanted one, but they can nip at corals and are semi-aggressive and that wouldn't work since I have only peaceful fish and am going to get corals. They would be fine in a FOWLR, spark interest and vibrant colors! :lol: I know how it feels to have lfs sales all the time and I'm so tempted, but...must...have..self..CONTROL!! haha. You can use T8, T5, Power Compact, anything really works. As long as you see the fish you'll be good (this is for FOWLR) (y)!

For a cheaper option you could buy some BRS pukani dry rock. It seems expensive, but because it is so porous you get lots of pieces for less money than you would with dense LR (that is soaked in water). Plus I personally love the appearance more than usual LR that is usually Fiji rock. I bought 100 lbs for my 70 gallon and had over a quarter left and got 12 one foot pieces, and 3 two foot pieces! Plus no pests! :D BRS Pukani Dry Aquarium Live Rock - Bulk Reef Supply Other good dry rock I heard was from MarcoRocks.

And btw you don't need really expensive lighting for simple corals like mushrooms and most soft corals. PC and T5s do okay or try check craigslist for a bargain!

And for your daughter, how convient!:
The Nemo Tank Guide - Aquarium Advice

I just saw this on Craigslist for 85, it comes with sump and skimmer for $85 he says it works great and is only a few months old. I looked it up and it was over $200, do anyone know anything about them?

image-2174711532.jpg

image-2065776071.jpg

You don't even need a sump. The purpose is for added water volume and more circulation plus the option of putting all your equipment in there. If your skimmer and pump are large, and you want to put in a refugium, filter sock, and other pumps/reactors, get a large sump...if you feel you have no need for a huge sump, as your skimmer is small and you have not a lot of other equipment, go small, but those are the factors you should consider. It's always said that bigger is better! If you can get your hands on a 500 gallon sump with a 5 foot skimmer and a huge portion being a refugium filled with macroalgae...go for it (bit extreme, but this defines a reef junkie :lol:). Also if you're going FOWLR you could even use a canister filter (some even use them for reef tanks, it just makes doing water changes a higher priority). That is a nice looking sump, but there are a few things to consider. First, in a traditional sump, there is usually a first chamber that holds bioballs or is just where the water enters, then goes to a second chamber with the skimmer, then the spot for a refugium (if you have one), if that's where you want to put it, and finally the section to lead to an external pump, or a large enough space for the internal one. Sumps are really customizable and can be in any pattern really, I was just telling you the basic sumps that are usually sold. Pretty much like this: Aquarium Wet Dry Filters: Aqueon ProFlex Sump Filtration System at Drs. Foster and Smith

Okay sorry for so much, but wait there's more haha! So bioballs are considered an old method of filtration and they can lead to raised nitrates. However, this is perfectly fine for a FOWLR with live rock, as the parameters don't need to be as spot on like with a reef. (You might be able to make it a refugium if you really wanted to). Plus I don't know if you could have such a small pump for the height (head pressure)? Not sure about that completely though...Just might be that the pump isn't strong enough so more water comes in then is returned. Lastly, definitely ask what the skimmer is rated, and what brand (doesn't look like one I know). This looks like a pretty good deal to me and would work just fine for a FOWLR (really most things would), but for a reef tank, I'd go a different route IMO. Thanks for reading such a long post!

I was thinking of putting live rock in place of bio balls. The protein skimmer is the same brand it came together, pro clear. Here's an amazon link for it. I read the negative review but it was about warranty. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00061UXXC
I have a rena xp3 but I don't have a skimmer, since this had both I thought it would be a better choice than the Rena? Thoughts? The whole setup is rated for a 125 -150 gallon tank. Any suggestions are great, I don't care how long! The more the better, :)

Do you think I could by with just the Rena xp3 and a skimmer for a fowlr tank? Or should I get that setup and replace bio balls w/ live rock? If I used Rena how often would I need to clean it? Thanks.

Lindsay

For 85 bucks it's worth looking at.that could set you up for a while without the I wish I would have done this. Reef is not as hard as it seems, weekly water changes, testing and slowly adding the right stuff will get you there. With your lights mushrooms some polyps and low light softies just do some research.my lfs use wet dry for all there fowlr or with some work you could change that filter around!

I just realized I'm not sure if it will fit off the back of my acrylic tank. The pic shows it hanging off a typical glass tank these are the access holes mine have. This is my 1st acrylic tank so I didn't think about it. I sent him an email asking the width. Would the Rena plus a hob slimmer work for a FOWLR tank with maybe some mushrooms & softies? I can probably upgrade down the road I'm just trying to keep start up cost downs. Thoughts anyone?

Lindsay

image-282582874.jpg

image-4034147463.jpg

image-1244383967.jpg

image-334590591.jpg

The Rena is a canister filter? With the proper cleaning, water changes and testing you should be alright. The main thing is staying on top of it.you could have someone drill a hole in the tank and you wouldn't even need the overflow box.maybe your lfs could help?

I really don't have a great lfs and I'm not sure I trust myself, or my husband, to drill a hole in the tank. Yes, the Rena xp3 is a 3 level canister. How often would I have to do maintenance on Rena vs. the wet/dry? I found a protein skimmer for $40. Just trying to figure out my best options.

Lindsay

I do water changes weekly and rinse off my filter pads as needed usually every other week. Both will require maint, kind of matters on your testing high nitrates = water changes and some cleaning.do what you can afford and you will get the hang of it.

Back
Top Bottom