Thinking of jumping into the Darkside

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaJesseBetta

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ive got a 46 gallon bowfront that is empty at the moment and I'm thinking of doing a saltwater tank if anybody has any info on what I need to do to switchover it is at the moment a freshwater tank it has fluval 405 canister filter and heater it will be my daughter so I'm thinking of a finding Nemo theme probably going to have an orange clown fish a blue tang a puffer a couple snails and a seahorse or pipe feeder if capacity would allow it any thought ideas or comments welcome really just need to know start up, difficulty, lighting (looking at getting an Odyssea t5 36 inch like I have on my planted 55) substrate, compatibility among fish, reef suggestions, temp, and water salinity( I have a local reef shop that sells RO/ID premixed so that would prolly just be for want to know info)

The only nemo fish that would fit in a tank that size are the clown fish. Defintiely no tangs or puffers.
You can also get the cleaner shrimp/fire shrimp (cant remember which one is in the movie lol)

The only nemo fish that would fit in a tank that size are the clown fish. Defintiely no tangs or puffers.
You can also get the cleaner shrimp/fire shrimp (cant remember which one is in the movie lol)

So just one clown for 46 gallons nothing else how big do they get our lfs has them all the time and the biggest I've seen is maybe 3-4 inches

So just one clown for 46 gallons nothing else how big do they get our lfs has them all the time and the biggest I've seen is maybe 3-4 inches

You can have more than just clowns, Carey's just saying the other fish are to big or not compatible with each other

Correct. :) You can get a pair of clowns as well as some other small-ish fish. The movie nemo has all sorts of fish that just arent compatible for one reason or another.

Seahorses are best kept by themselves in a very tall tank with very little water flow. Generally reserved for those that really really can handle it, they are hard to keep.

Starfish you are open with, although most dont last too long in home tanks. I have the same non reef safe starfish now for over 2 years so there are exceptions to the rule.

So far on aquadvisor I've got a pair of ocellaris clowns and a purple firefish goby and it looks pretty good as far as stocking so what do I need to do with my existing filter if anything and I'm pretty sure it will need to be cycled as a salt water aquarium or is cycled cycled?

Any reef suggestions? Easy maintenance type or beginner I should say

In terms of corals, mushroom corals and zoanthids tend to be the easiest to take care of. I would get coral frags first to begin with, then move onto colonies. With invertebrates, I would do turbo snails, scarlet hermit crabs, and a cleaner shrimp. Finally, fish In a 46 would be bangaii cardinals, royal grammas, clownfish, green chromis, firefish, and any other small fish. Any questions, just ask!!!

If you want another fish from finding nemo you can get a royal gramma. Beautiful and spunky

I agree I have one in my tank. What lights do you have planned for your tank ???

I agree I have one in my tank. What lights do you have planned for your tank ???

Thank you all! Lots of help! My planted has a 48 inch Odyssea t5 ho quad with moon lights had it about 2 weeks and started dosing excel really see growth especially in the once dying anachris ( I know this is a saltwater forum but I gotta share) :)ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395802133.917206.jpg

Back
Top Bottom