Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-01-2012, 02:37 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858
Honestly if your really wanting to get into reefing. Do it right the first time around because you'll regret it until you fix it lol. I would say either empty the tank and drill it or find one that is drilled or can be drilled. From there on just start piecing it together to fully suit what you want. This will spread your total cost out, give you plenty of research time (very important in SW), and lastly you won't be "settling" for anything.
Yeah I'm debating over starting over with the tank and just buy the same size tank to fit my stand and sell the other one. Only reason being is because I am 100% certain that it is tempered glass. :/ so I can't drill it. Or just get an other tank all together so I could fit my sump at the bottom. So many options. But I'd have to get rid of mine before hand. But I'm weighing my options and keeping an open mind about it

Old 11-01-2012, 02:38 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgc1107
When I first was intrested I bought the saltwater book for dummies! Currently retreading it now after a few months of having my tank I understand more. IMO it was a good start, you may want to look into it
Thanks for the recommendation. Might look into it after I finish reading this other one.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:40 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamsound1
But if you go to petco or pet smart or walmart I would not even bother to ask someone who works there unless you really trust them
I only have one guy I trust at petsmart everyone else is really wishy washy... But I like to inform myself prior to getting things started anyway. I've been delving into YouTube, AA, fish sites... Friends trials and errors.. So I'm slowly learning. Hence the messier amounts of questions... Lol
Old 11-01-2012, 02:41 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858
You can check out bulkreefsupply.com too. They offer great videos on a lot of their products which will help give you an idea of what it is and how it works for SW equipment. YouTube is also a great location to learn from. Just remember there's more then one way to do it right so except all the different methods and opinions until you feel comfortable making up your own mind on how you feel about certain methods.
Thank you! I'll give this bulkreefsupply a whirl tomorrow.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:42 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks everyone for chiming in. Any suggestion on the lighting?
Old 11-01-2012, 03:27 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

But be careful talking to people in your LFS here they all run off part commission so not very good advise other that to get you to buy something, in most cases there's an easier & cheaper fix. I wish I had a good reliable person at me LFS but all the care about is $$$! Don't get me wrong, not all LFS are like this but just beware. I did find a great hook up 30mi away at a LFS. Just research what there telling you, you'll learn quick!! And AA is THE BEST forum I've found!!!

You will learn to be crafty! good luck!! I'll be looking forward to hearing about your progress! Everyone here will help you!!
Old 11-01-2012, 05:10 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgc1107
But be careful talking to people in your LFS here they all run off part commission so not very good advise other that to get you to buy something, in most cases there's an easier & cheaper fix. I wish I had a good reliable person at me LFS but all the care about is $$$! Don't get me wrong, not all LFS are like this but just beware. I did find a great hook up 30mi away at a LFS. Just research what there telling you, you'll learn quick!! And AA is THE BEST forum I've found!!!

You will learn to be crafty! good luck!! I'll be looking forward to hearing about your progress! Everyone here will help you!!
Thank you!! I appreciate it.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

Question: Can you use an HOB filter and a canister filter in an aquarium? Other than it being an eyesore... What are the challenges in that vs a sump? I'm trying to weight out my options. I'm wondering if I have tall enough rock would I be able to hide my tubing. I have black background so it blends in nicely with my tank.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:12 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

There is a reef video of canister on YouTube filled with Chemi-pure. Nice looking reef.
55 Gallon, DIY Live Rock, 2 Taotronics 130w LEDs, CPR HOB skimmer and refugium, 525 GPH SunSun 5-stage Canister with UV Sterilizer using Chemi-pure Elite, and Two Fishes GFO reactor and 3 800 GPH powerheads. <><
San Raphael Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok so I found a YouTube video on an overflow system without drilling a tank that goes to a sump with a valve and return pump. Not sure if I could post a link but it looks pretty simple and fairly easy to do. I think I could pull it off. any suggestions on that DIY overflow system?

Tags
reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com