Thinking of jumping into the reef...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep if you check out the link I posted that is the one. Not sure what the DX stands for....

Also its a good idea to put a ball valve in your return line so you can regulate your flow if you want and when you do a WC and turn everything off it will backflow down your return so if you can shut that off its also helpful.

Just an FYI, BRS has that overflow with the aqualifter for $112. And if you sign up for the group buy that starts next week, you might be able to get additional % off if that too. :)

Beengirl said:
Just an FYI, BRS has that overflow with the aqualifter for $112. And if you sign up for the group buy that starts next week, you might be able to get additional % off if that too. :)

What is BRS?

h8z2luze said:
Yep if you check out the link I posted that is the one. Not sure what the DX stands for....

Also its a good idea to put a ball valve in your return line so you can regulate your flow if you want and when you do a WC and turn everything off it will backflow down your return so if you can shut that off its also helpful.

Thank you! :) I was planning on a valve incase something goes wrong I can just close the valves. :) can never have too much security.

A few months ago I kept putting off my water change... At the time water was evaporating quite a bit. I woke up one morning to find my filter spewing water all over my living room carpet. After picking most of the water with my carpet cleaner I had to call a professional to spray underneath the carpet for mold and pick up any left over water. I smelled fish for a few days. It was gross. I'm trying to avoid that from ever happening again.

h8z2luze said:

"DX" means it includes the Aqualifter pump. (I did a little looking. LOL)

GoldfishJoey said:
What is BRS?

Yeah, it's Bulkreefsupply.com. There's a group buy starts the 20th-26th. If you have several things to buy, it's good. If you want to join in the group buy, look under "community announcements", there's a thread from few days ago that will tell you how it works and who to PM with your info to get on the list. Most things will have an additional discount because of the group buy, some things do not. Unfortunately, you won't know ahead of time which things you'll get a discount on. I got my refractometer with a group buy, some other stuff too. And it came within a couple of days.

Ok I got a little ahead of myself... I was at my lfs today checking out saltwater fish and the owner is a really cool guy... Anyway, I trust his judgment.... He sold me an overflow box with a U shaped thing. I know you guys told me to stay away from them but I was sold when he told me he sell it to me for 30 bucks because he didn't have the screws for it. But it has a brand new overflow box and the backing was used. Looks like it's in great condition. So I bought it. I don't think I would have came across an overflow for 30 bucks anywhere. So I'm taking a chance. Did I jump ahead of myself? He even explained the newer versions and I really liked the CPR but I wanted to save a few bucks.... I guess the previous owner decided to use metal screws instead of plastic and broke the box. Anyway... Why do you guys think? Did I royally screw up?

image-332977631.jpg

image-2070791920.jpg

image-923757867.jpg

Attachments

• image-2402537042.jpg
    image-2402537042.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 54
Looks to be fine but you'll still want an aqualifter for reassurance.

It's cool I have the same one and its works great and $30.00 is not bad at all

No aqua lifter needed with that overflow. Siphon will not break if you have pump output dialed in. The only way it would break the siphon is if flow is too slow and not pushing the small air bubbles thru the U tube ( small air bubbles collecting in the top of the tube and getting bigger thereby breaking the siphon). You will need about a foot of airline tubing to suck out the air in the au tube and get it start working.

Aqualifters are good for anytime you need a constant siphon. Powerouttages could cause your tank to flood without one or just a collection of bubbles as stated above.

I run a CPR overflow with an aqualifter. Works great. If rather it be a drilled tank, but when you can't am overflow with an aqualifter is the easy to go. I even user one on my ato. Great product.

Mrc8858 said:
Aqualifters are good for anytime you need a constant siphon. Powerouttages could cause your tank to flood without one or just a collection of bubbles as stated above.

Yeah I would prefer no floods in my house again. I had it once with my canister filter spewing out water. House smelled like fishy water for weeks. Anyway of preventing them is appreciated as well. Just not sure how it all works just yet. Lol

All the aqualifter will do is suck the air out of the top of the U tube. That way even if the siphon is broke by a power outtage, when it comes back on the aqualifter will start the siphon back up.

Mrc8858 said:
All the aqualifter will do is suck the air out of the top of the U tube. That way even if the siphon is broke by a power outtage, when it comes back on the aqualifter will start the siphon back up.

Oh ok... Well... That makes sense. Now I understand. Lets say I do have a power outage... Is the overflow box still going to pump water in my sump?

Back
Top Bottom