Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Freak

Update... Going to work on getting my PVC pipe and I'm going to measure all the necessary measurements. Buying my sump this weekend. going with a glass sump.

Two questions:

should I wait on placement for my skimmer when I get my sump or is it a better idea to buy the skimmer and start on measurements?

How much Gph should I have for my return pump? Might go with 1" PVC pipe.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:55 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your return cannot exceed the overflow capacity or your sump will be pumped dry. A 1" drain should provide about 600 gph depending on your DIY syphon. So if your return is more than that (after headloss) you will need to use a valve to reduce it a bit.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:30 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy
Your return cannot exceed the overflow capacity or your sump will be pumped dry. A 1" drain should provide about 600 gph depending on your DIY syphon. So if your return is more than that (after headloss) you will need to use a valve to reduce it a bit.
My syphon will look like a HOB type bc I can't drill my tank. I will put a check valve and a couple of valves to reduce the water levels.
Kind of like this guy...
http://youtu.be/Cmhu7uxPIm4
Old 11-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak

Question on the overflow box... What does it do necessarily? Is it just syphoning the water from the aquarium to the sump? The only reason why i am questioning an overflow box is because wouldn't a canister filter be useful in a sense? For example... If I kept the intake bar in my tank where it's at and I placed the spray bar in the sump and placed a return pump inside my sump to the tank. Wouldn't it be doing the same thing? Granted I'd be using the canister filter as extra filtration or just as a water circulator. Does that make sense? I mean I'm utilizing the things I currently have rather then making more of a mess. Is this possible or does it sound like a headache ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1134166295.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	131342

Sorry for the bad drawing but can you see what I'm saying? Or if you need water to just be skimmed off the top I could just reverse the tubing of the spray bar in tube. What are you thoughts????
Old 11-12-2012, 03:39 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you would do that then you would have to match the two pumps EXACTLY or else one will be working harder then the other causing one of your tanks to flood. The reason we let gravity take care of the overflow is because it will be able take more water if needed as the pump returns the water to the DT. Do you get what I'm saying?
Old 11-12-2012, 03:44 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858
If you would do that then you would have to match the two pumps EXACTLY or else one will be working harder then the other causing one of your tanks to flood. The reason we let gravity take care of the overflow is because it will be able take more water if needed as the pump returns the water to the DT. Do you get what I'm saying?
Ahhh I get it. The Gph on both the return and overflow has to be the same... I guess that makes sense. In order for me to have the same Gph on the return would be madness. Haha.. Ok I give in to the overflow box. Lol
Old 11-13-2012, 04:25 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Freak

Eshoops vs CPR overflow??? What Gph will be suitable for my 60 gallon tank? Which one should I go with? Any recommendations?
Old 11-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishJoey View Post
Question on the overflow box... What does it do necessarily? Is it just syphoning the water from the aquarium to the sump? The only reason why i am questioning an overflow box is because wouldn't a canister filter be useful in a sense? For example... If I kept the intake bar in my tank where it's at and I placed the spray bar in the sump and placed a return pump inside my sump to the tank. Wouldn't it be doing the same thing? Granted I'd be using the canister filter as extra filtration or just as a water circulator. Does that make sense? I mean I'm utilizing the things I currently have rather then making more of a mess. Is this possible or does it sound like a headache ?

Attachment 131342

Sorry for the bad drawing but can you see what I'm saying? Or if you need water to just be skimmed off the top I could just reverse the tubing of the spray bar in tube. What are you thoughts????
In addition to what Mrc said, if you have a power outage in that configuration, you'd actually creae a siphon through the canister filter until the siphon broke at the canister filter intake, likely overflowing your sump.

As far as the Eshopps v. CPR, I've heard good things about both. I've used one that looks a lot like the Eshopps version on my 37 for years with no issues. I beleive you have to use some kind of pump on the CPR version like an aualifter or powerhead with a venturi to maintain siphon.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to h8z2luze Send a message via MSN to h8z2luze Send a message via Yahoo to h8z2luze
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishJoey View Post
Eshoops vs CPR overflow??? What Gph will be suitable for my 60 gallon tank? Which one should I go with? Any recommendations?

I am using a CPR and so is my roomate. They work great! You will want to get a aqua lifter though to keep the air out of it so it doesnt break suction. I have the CP90, I run a MAG drive 7 pump on mine and it handles it running wide open and could take more.

The overflow you will want...

http://www.marinedepot.com/CPR_CS90_...CR1513-vi.html

The aqualifter...

http://www.marinedepot.com/Tom_Aquat...FIOFOA-vi.html
Old 11-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for your input!!! I appreciate it heaps!

So would something like this work? Gph is 600.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3403502685.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	131643

Tags
reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com