Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-31-2012, 06:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thinking of jumping into the reef...

Hello all! So I have a few questions... actually a ton. Sorry. So here's the deal I have a heartland 60 gallon tall aquarium tank that currently holds my goldfish in it after re homing my goldfish I want to tackle saltwater. I've had this tank established well over a year and a half and i'm ready for a new adventure.

Problem is my lighting. I have the regular fluorescent lighting that comes with the tank and from the research I have made it's not sufficient lighting for corals or reef tank. I've seen some really costly great looking LED hoods and I definitely want to get LED lighting so it cut down the cost on the electric bill. Anyway, my question is what is sufficient lighting for corals? My tank measurements are

L=48inch
w=12.5Inch
H=25insh

Give or take. Im still trying to determine what type of coral I want. Aside from trying to determine the difference.

Anyway, I need help determining what I need to adequately maintain a saltwater tank. This is what I currently have available to my tank. Will I be able to incorporate this into my saltwater tank?

Cascade 1000 canister filter
Aqueon 75 HOB filter
Aqueon 950 water circulator
a UV light

I found a protein skimmer for 100 gallon tank at pet-smart for 100 bucks is that something I should look into buying?

I've heard of sumps being used and it all sounds great however, i can't drill into my tank. :/

Sorry for the broad questions… I'm just confused to the lighting situation and what I can keep and what I can't. What I can get rid of and all that good stuff. I'm trying to get as well informed as I can before I jump into. I even bought a book called simple guide to Marine Aquariums. Anyway, I dont want to sound like a total dweeb but I don't want to end up spending more money then i have too.

Thanks guys for the information in advance. I really appreciate it. Maybe you can lighten the confusion that i'm going through. lol

Old 10-31-2012, 06:58 PM   #2

For a sump you really don't have to drill unless you want to go the safer way and do something like a herbie overflow method. You can get a hang on back overflow and return which will be good if you can't drill your tank.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

A protein skimmer would be nice to have and if you want to do a protein skimmer you can get a hob overflow cause that's what I did on my 43 gallon
Old 10-31-2012, 07:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Very interested in this thread. Similar situation, same canister filter. Want to know about lighting as well, but 55 gallon.

There are better prices for protein skimmers. We happen to be Amazon shoppers and lots of better deals for skimmers than that.

SRC <><
55 Gallon, DIY Live Rock, 2 Taotronics 130w LEDs, CPR HOB skimmer and refugium, 525 GPH SunSun 5-stage Canister with UV Sterilizer using Chemi-pure Elite, and Two Fishes GFO reactor and 3 800 GPH powerheads. <><
San Raphael Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfreak1
For a sump you really don't have to drill unless you want to go the safer way and do something like a herbie overflow method. You can get a hang on back overflow and return which will be good if you can't drill your tank.
I've never heard of the herbie overflow method. I will look that up. I was wondering how valuable would a sump compared to HOB's. hmm... Thanks for your help.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamsound1
A protein skimmer would be nice to have and if you want to do a protein skimmer you can get a hob overflow cause that's what I did on my 43 gallon
Interesting. I've never heard of this HOB overflow. Haha... I feel so out of the loop now.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Raphael Catfish
Very interested in this thread. Similar situation, same canister filter. Want to know about lighting as well, but 55 gallon.

There are better prices for protein skimmers. We happen to be Amazon shoppers and lots of better deals for skimmers than that.

SRC <><
I'll do my browsing on the net and tend to find deals on eBay and what not. haven't tried amazon though. Maybe il give it a whirl.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Are those HOB overflow boxes noisy? What's a good one to have? And what size sump would be needed?
Old 10-31-2012, 08:33 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah there kinda noisy

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4024190670.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	128832
Old 10-31-2012, 08:40 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamsound1
Yeah there kinda noisy
Hmmm....

Tags
reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com