Thinking of making a saltwater Have some questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

muffinman356

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am thinking of making a SW tank i have BW tank right now with 3 F8 puffers in there.

Question about SW
How often do you need to make water changes?
Do you always need a protein skimmer?(i still need a filter right?)
If i was going to get a 29 or 30 how much live rock would i need?

I am thinking about getting a pair of clown fish and 2 firefish, do you think that would be overstock of that size of tank?

Do i need any type of coral for fish that i picked?

When i am cycling the tank do i need to do water changes? how should i cycle the tank?

sorry if something does not make any sense, and if it does i will redo it to try to make sense out of it.

Thanks
Nicholas

I will do my best to help out. I do water changes every week to week and a half on my 2 salt water tanks. I am not running a Skimmer on either set up. I have a biocube 29 and 14. I would do about a pound and a half of live rock for every gallon and don't forget live sand. I have a 2 to 3 inch deep sand bed in both tanks. You should be fine with those in your tank, as long as you stick with some of the smaller clowns like the occellaris clowns. You don't need any coral just live rock for those fish. Here is an article to hopefully help out with your cycling question. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/3/1/Cycle-your-salt-tank/Page1.html

And if possible use ro/di water. I go to meijers and get it for. 29 a gallon. Helps to reduce algae growth and is better for the tank all together.

Back
Top Bottom