thinking of making the leap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tbrazil230

Aquarium Advice Activist
About a year ago my daughter and I went with a friend to buy a new heater for his tank, my 3 year old loved watching the fish so we left with a betta and that turned into a 10gal community than a 29gal community and finally my 55gal mbuna cichlid tank with a custom tiger wood stand. I intended the tank to go salt but kinda fell in love with my cichlids but now I'm wanting another tank so my question is would a 55 be a decent size or should I save a little longer and get a 75gal

It depends on what you want but you could get clown fish shrimp and tangs at least in a 55 but I'm no expert in saltwater.

If you can, I'd say go bigger and get the 75. The larger the tank, the more room you have for errors like if you add too much salt or overfeed. It would have a smaller impact on the bigger tank because there is more volume of water. 55 and 75 gallon tanks are both 4 feet, but the 75 is wider. You can have more variety/number of fish in the 75. Both are great choices.

You could do a bristletooth tang in a 55 or 75, but that would be the only type of tang. But there are lots of other pretty fish you could do In Either one. If you can swing the 75, I would get that.

About a year ago my daughter and I went with a friend to buy a new heater for his tank, my 3 year old loved watching the fish so we left with a betta and that turned into a 10gal community than a 29gal community and finally my 55gal mbuna cichlid tank with a custom tiger wood stand. I intended the tank to go salt but kinda fell in love with my cichlids but now I'm wanting another tank so my question is would a 55 be a decent size or should I save a little longer and get a 75gal

Getta 250g lol jk but as mentioned bigger is easier small mistakes wont impact the tank as badly especially since its your first sw but downside is bigger cost more

Getta 250g lol jk but as mentioned bigger is easier small mistakes wont impact the tank as badly especially since its your first sw but downside is bigger cost more

The tank is probably gonna be the cheapest thing youll be buying

After quite a bit of research I've decided to make my next carpentry project a 230gal plywood aquarium, it'll most likely be 8'x2'x2' with overflows in the corners and center, I'll also be adding a 55 gal sump. I'm super amped about this build,

After quite a bit of research I've decided to make my next carpentry project a 230gal plywood aquarium, it'll most likely be 8'x2'x2' with overflows in the corners and center, I'll also be adding a 55 gal sump. I'm super amped about this build,

what do you mean by plywood aquarium? you've caught my attention

Its basically an oak plywood box, covered in epoxy paint with glass siliconed in cut outs to make windows, I'm a carpenter by trade, so of course I would church it up a bit,

Back
Top Bottom