Thinking of starting a salt water tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

D-Fish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello,

I've been in to freshwater fish for a long time but now want to try my hand at a simple saltwater tank.
What I am wanting to get is the Fluval Evo 13. 5 gallon. Oh I had the little heater and protein skimmer that it recommends. What I want to keep is Kaudern's Cardinalfish preferably Captive-Bred.

Any other fish would just be an additional bonus. The Cardinals are the ones I really want. I would not mind also adding a small crab or two maybe a snail if I have the room.

I know that I will need some live rock and sympathy live sand. Also the additives needed to make the saltwater. What else will I need to start with?

I want to keep this tank simple and as far as corals I'm not really concerned about keeping them. Maybe a mushroom or two something like that.

So let me know what you think and help me do this without just wasting a lot of money leaning by error.

That is a pretty small tank in the saltwater world. I wouldn’t want many fish in there outside of maybe 3 of the cardinals you mentioned.
If you were wanting to do much more than that you’ll need a larger system.

Thanks. That would be fine for me as long as I can keep happy fish in it.

If that won't work I do have a 36gal. Bowfront I could convert over. I just really liked the Fluval Evo setup. It's like a jumbo size Spec. And I have a one of those set up as a freah water nano tank.
That is a pretty small tank in the saltwater world. I wouldn’t want many fish in there outside of maybe 3 of the cardinals you mentioned.
If you were wanting to do much more than that you’ll need a larger system.

I started this hobby with a 36 bowfront. It was a tad too tall for me, but that won’t hamper you from putting the small handful of cardinals in you wanted.

Ok so if I go with that. What would you recommend I do? Do I need to have the tank drilled or will canister filtration and a protein skimmer be enough? I has a sunsun 304B that I was using for freshwater at one time.
I started this hobby with a 36 bowfront. It was a tad too tall for me, but that won’t hamper you from putting the small handful of cardinals in you wanted.

We normally shy away from canisters in saltwater due to them being nitrate traps, but it seems you are experienced enough to know to clean it out every week.
A skimmer can be helpful, but not necessary on smaller tanks as long as you are doing 10% weekly water changes to remove excess nutrients.
Just make sure you have 1 lbs per gallon of rock and sand in the system and all should work out well.

Ok. I do not plan on going to quickly with this. I know slow and steady is the way to go. I'll keep doing research into all of this and will not proceed until I am fully comfortable.
We normally shy away from canisters in saltwater due to them being nitrate traps, but it seems you are experienced enough to know to clean it out every week.
A skimmer can be helpful, but not necessary on smaller tanks as long as you are doing 10% weekly water changes to remove excess nutrients.
Just make sure you have 1 lbs per gallon of rock and sand in the system and all should work out well.

Ok idk if this tread will need to be moved or not but I'm not really thinking nano as much anymore. Lol

So Petco has their 75 gallon tanks on sale for $90. I have a 40 gallon breeder at the house. I could do a 75 with 40 gallon sump. Though I don't really know how a sump works as I've never done one lol.

I'm also going to look more into that idea. But a new 75 for $90 is not bad. I have a 90 gallon at the house but it's seen better days and is not as attractive or safe as it used to be lol.

Anyway thanks for the advice and getting me on the right track. I'll come back once I've got started or have another question.

Bigger is always better. The 40 has a great foot print, but that is a pretty solid deal as well. Keep us posted.
Just wanted to ask another question.

If I got one of the Fluval EVOs do you think it was make a good saltwater shrimp tank?

I was just thinking I've had nano freshwater shimp tanks before and it may be an interesting was to get into salt doing the Marine equivalent if that.

I'm actually throwing around the idea of a nano tank with a nano sump in the cabinet. I'm not sure if this has been done on here or not. But I can fit a 5 1/2 gallon tank in the little cabinet that I was going to put the Nano saltwater tank on. It would increase my volume to roughly 20 gallons if I was to go this route.

I've decided to wait until next year after tax time before taking on this project. That way I have plenty of time to decide what I am going to do. Whether I'm going to go with a larger setup or go ahead and attempt the Nano setup as my first dip into saltwater. I appreciate everyone's help here and all of their thoughts.
Any suggestions and recommendations are very welcome as I I'm just really learning about the field. :)

To bide my time while I figure out what I'm going to do I have started a 38 gallon freshwater project LOL.

Right now as far as the saltwater tank I would like to have some soft corals. Maybe mushrooms and polyps or something. I do know that although clown fish are very popular that I am not wanting to go down that route. I also found out that what I am wanting to do with the cardinalfish is Not Practical and less I had a very very large setup LOL
I thought they was a nice schooling fish not something that was terribly aggressive among their own species. Still would like to have one if I can later on.
I also found out that I love the dragonets but they're care level he is a little above what I believe I can tackle at the moment.

Clown Goby is not the same as a Clown fish. Yellow Clown Goby is a smaller one.

Yes, you'll have time to think about it. You can likely start collecting the things you would need to put together your tank and have it almost together by tax time - 6 months from now.

Honestly you can do a small SW nano with a couple shrimp and a little filter and a mushroom and some polyps, pods and a aqueon 50/50 actinic cfl light bulb ($10) with a clamp ($5-25.) just to get your SW feet wet with live sand and rock and a few snails. Just saying :whistle:

Just a couple 5G totes - an RO/DI and a SW and you have a simple small set up. Easy to upgrade to a better SW nano light. A PAR 36 would be an upgrade for the clamp light. Or a Fluval Sea nano Marine and Reef, now with blue tooth or an older version for half price or used probably less. New for that price, you could get a better rated light.

So many choices either way.

Congrats on the new FW tank.

Clown Goby is not the same as a Clown fish. Yellow Clown Goby is a smaller one.

Yes, you'll have time to think about it. You can likely start collecting the things you would need to put together your tank and have it almost together by tax time - 6 months from now.

Honestly you can do a small SW nano with a couple shrimp and a little filter and a mushroom and some polyps, pods and a aqueon 50/50 actinic cfl light bulb ($10) with a clamp ($5-25.) just to get your SW feet wet with live sand and rock and a few snails. Just saying :whistle:

Just a couple 5G totes - an RO/DI and a SW and you have a simple small set up. Easy to upgrade to a better SW nano light. A PAR 36 would be an upgrade for the clamp light. Or a Fluval Sea nano Marine and Reef, now with blue tooth or an older version for half price or used probably less. New for that price, you could get a better rated light.

So many choices either way.

Congrats on the new FW tank.
Yes I looked at the yellow clown goby and they are neat. I also like the little fire fish I saw. Part of me also loves a lion fish but that's not really the setup I'm looking for.

Back
Top Bottom