Thinking of starting a saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hunterr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had a freshwater tank now for a little over a month and have decided to switch to saltwater. I have a 55 gallon tank with a fluval 304 canister filter and a HOB filter. What do I need to start a saltwater tank, and what does it take to maintain. I know next to nothing about saltwater tanks. I know that there is special salt and the aquarium has to be at a certain salinity, but that's about it. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Welcome! There is a lot to learn so I would recommend reading the saltwater articles on here about how to set up and maintain a salt tank first. It's good to research what kind of set up you ideally want so you can decide what type of filtration suits you best. I run a 55g reef too and use three powerheads and a protein skimmer for filtration but to be honest if I could set it up from scratch I would have drilled the tank and set up a sump. The first step is research - fish only? Or full reef? That will determine where you go from there...

Back
Top Bottom