Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-20-2014, 01:18 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulHobbiest View Post
so i could skip the need for a sump and just pick up the power head that'll move 10 x 40G per hour?? now i'm confused lol
Yes, you could skip the sump. However down the line most people decide that they want a sump and have to add a hang on the back overflow to be able to utilize one. They are a place where you can keep all of your equipment such as heater, skimmer, reactors, or anything else you have running on your tank which will keep all of the equipment out of view. They will also allow you to grow macro algae to aid in nutrient control.

For flow in the display tank you want to shoot for somewhere between 400 gallons per hour to 1600 gallons per hour. I would probably shoot for closer to the 1600gph mark myself. You will want to split this up between multiple powerheads.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:20 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a 55 gallon with no sump but a good hang on the back skimmer is important.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:22 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ok well thats good to hear, depending on how this venture goes i may buy a bigger tank in the future(few years from now) and attempt a larger reef around 180G.

anyway, back to reality... so i can skip the sump, make sure i have around 1600Gph flow split between multiple power heads.... sounds pretty easy!

another thing, can someone explain what a RO/DI system is and what it does since i was told i need one?? annnnd if its possible to DIY?
Old 02-20-2014, 01:45 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

A RO/DI system basically strips out any impurities that the water contains making it as pure as possible. Most people need this to remove any impurities in their water to make keeping a reef easier. Many problems can be traced back to using tap water. Some people (not many) have good enough tap water that they can run a reef tank without a RO/DI but those are definitely in the minority.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:47 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

can i build one or is it better to buy one??

i'm sure my tap is crap... i live 20-25 mins from DC, lots of questionable water sources here lmao
Old 02-20-2014, 01:50 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
can i build one or is it better to buy one??

i'm sure my tap is crap... i live 20-25 mins from DC, lots of questionable water sources here lmao
You could probably rig one up but it would cost just as much to buy one. The DI membranes are expensive.

A high quality affordable RO/DI unit

BRS 4 Stage Value RO/DI System - 75GPD - Bulk Reef Supply
Old 02-20-2014, 02:02 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

130 isn't a bad price...

does that just connect directly to the tank?
Old 02-20-2014, 02:10 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
130 isn't a bad price...

does that just connect directly to the tank?
Nope, you hook it directly into your water supply. Most people fill a garbage can with ro / di water and from there use that for top offs and mixing the salt water.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:12 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

sorry to do this to you... but could you explain that in a lil more detail so i understand? i keep reading it but the expression of stupid is still stuck on my face... lol thanks
Old 02-20-2014, 02:33 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

It comes with a sink adapter that you just screw onto a faucet. You then put the tube where the ro water comes out into a 5 gallon bucket or garbage can. I have that same unit and it's great

bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
rio, star, start, starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com