Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-10-2009, 05:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Question Thinking of starting a sw tank

Hi all i am thinking of starting a sw thank,for the past year i have a fw tank and i know very little about sw fish and about setting it up i hope to buy a 60 g tank and i want to know were i start, i have sorced a good shop with everything i need .I want to know what equipment i need and were i start off and all about cycleing the tank ,i want to take my time with it and do it wright cause i know how expensive it is can be.
So can any one give me a few tips ? it would be a great help.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:46 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

The article section of this site will provide you with a lot of information on all the questions you asked.

Before you buy anything from the LFS (including equipment) research it online, I'm about 99.9% sure you will find better deals online.

The equipment you will need depends on what you plan to keep in the aquarium. Figure out what direction you want to go with your tank and then start looking for equipment that will support what you want. Don't believe everything you are told at the LFS. Double check and research everything before you buy it will save you lots of headache and lots of money.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:16 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Here is a good article on equipment needs.

Stock list and tips for maintaining your SW tank.

I also agree with Allen in that you need to read our article section.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:25 AM   #4

Cheers for that when i get a chance to sit down to study those arcticals ill let you know if i have any more questions want to take my time even if it takes a couple of months
Old 02-11-2009, 03:32 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawlessr View Post
Cheers for that when i get a chance to sit down to study those arcticals ill let you know if i have any more questions want to take my time even if it takes a couple of months
That is a very good way of approaching this hobby. Nothing "good" happens fast in this hobby so the more time you spend researching the better prepared you will be when you get started.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:07 AM   #6

100% agree with Ziggy!! You have definatly got to have patients for this hobby...an just like i said, this is a hobby. If you dont enjoy it then it will be too much work for you to have a healthy aquarium. I consider myself kinda new at this too but it is so worth every bit of what I put into it. It is not cheap BTW. On a lighter note, it is not as 'difficult' as people make this out to be. Good luck and welcome to SW!!!

Tags
starting, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com