Thinking of starting my very first saltwater tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SP89

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ive currently got a 90gal freshwater that I love, but sense Ive joined AA, Ive been extremely jealous of every ones BEAUTIFUL saltwater tanks. This may be a few months down the road, before I even buy the tank, but I figured I would ask advice from successful saltwater tank owners. I was thinking of having a 20-30 gallon with a couple puffer fish. (they are so adorable!) Ive been told by several friends that have tried a saltwater tank, that it is extremely hard to keep the fish alive. Any advice, or secrets?

I've never had puffers but my jump from freshwater to SW was very eye opening. You have to do a lot of research, some more research and then a little more. Come back with questions and then read some more.
Having said that I love my SW tank. It is a more work, a lot of details, more involved and more expensive. I love all that though...except the more expensive. With proper reading and patience there is no reason not to be successful. There are some great articles on this forum. Make a cup of coffee and dig in...

Steve

I also just made the jump into SW with a 29 gallon standard tank. It's so much different than FW but in a great way. Alot more research and time is involved that is for sure. And I've prob spent twice what I have on my 55 FW tank. But its a beautiful thing to do. I find myself just staring at the small amount of what I have and can't wait to get more .

+1
I totally agree! I stare at my tank and there's not much in it yet but it's the first thing I look at coming down the stairs and the last thing I look at before heading to bed. That is the best thong you could do for yourself is read read read! I got so many different opinions that I thought up was white and down was Alaska but the more research you do the easier your job will be. Once you get the bug it's hard not to buy things to put in your tank but patients is the key here!

Try to consider at least a 55g breeder tank. More water volume is always more forgiving. If you look up those puffers, you'll likely find recommeded tank sizes for them. 20-30g may be too small.

Thanks for the advice you guys, and gals. Ill deffinalty do tons of reading. I figured a 55gal would be something someone would mention - Ill probably just invest into one of those, rather then buying a 20gal, and later decide on a 55gal upgrade. Thanks again guys :)

There are 2 things you don't want to skimp on that is getting a refractometer and a good test kit. Surf craigslist and forums for the best buys, local forums are the best for getting tanks from. The list of nice to have is ATO.

Remember go slow and be patient.

Back
Top Bottom