Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-19-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Thinking of starting over, which tank?

Back in October of 2010, I bought a 55 gallon aquarium with the intent of putting together a reef tank. At the time I did not know anything about different types of filtration, and as such bought everything based on the recommendation of a 16 year old employee of the fish shop. Now, after months of working on this project, and close to $2,000, I am getting frustrated. My 55 gallon is too narrow, the stand is even narrower, and I want to start over before I invest any more in this 55 gallon.

I am thinking over 100 gallons or more this time, something nice and wide, that I can fit a nice large refugium/sump under with plenty of room.

What size tank do you guys recommend for an awesome reef? I am thinking something 18" wide at a minimum, but 24" preferably. Are there any good online places to buy glass aquariums for a fair price. I found glasscages.com, but their prices seem high.

jphendren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
a 180G is 72x24x24 usually. they do make special deeper tanks now for reefs and better footprint for fish swimming room, etc.

look up rysharks 180G on here, its acrylic, but its a simply amazing tank

iDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
And don't waste the money you've already spent that 55 will be a great sump!!
Old Chinese proverb:
Don't go to bed with ichy bum
wake up with smelly finger!!
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
is back to save the day!

I would advise against glass-cages.com Their craftsmanship is god awful and you will be disappointed you bought from them. Also.. if you think their prices are too steep, then good luck. They are probably the cheapest place online to buy custom glass aquariums. ESPECIALLY if you are wanting to buy a huge tank like you are thinking of now. It will only get more expensive from here on out. Larger tanks require more resources, larger equipment, more water, more salt, more live rock, basically more everything. You spent 2grand on just this 55G and haven't even started it yet? Expect to double that in price before you ever get this next tank up and running. Big tanks are big money, i don't care what any rich person has to say. Money is money and i know the costs of tanks larger than 100 gallons.
Zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I love our 4' 120G.... it would be a great reef tank footprint. The depth is an issue for lighting, but not a huge one by any means.
Question everything you see on the internet. ~ George Orwell
HN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
40 breeder is my all time fave... the the 4' 120G is great if you have the squarefootage for it.

36 BowFront Reef
LED PoweredPlanted 3G Picotope (Build thread)
Jnam is offline   Reply With Quote

ich, starting, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com