Thinking of starting over, which tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jphendren

Aquarium Advice Activist
Back in October of 2010, I bought a 55 gallon aquarium with the intent of putting together a reef tank. At the time I did not know anything about different types of filtration, and as such bought everything based on the recommendation of a 16 year old employee of the fish shop. Now, after months of working on this project, and close to $2,000, I am getting frustrated. My 55 gallon is too narrow, the stand is even narrower, and I want to start over before I invest any more in this 55 gallon.

I am thinking over 100 gallons or more this time, something nice and wide, that I can fit a nice large refugium/sump under with plenty of room.

What size tank do you guys recommend for an awesome reef? I am thinking something 18" wide at a minimum, but 24" preferably. Are there any good online places to buy glass aquariums for a fair price. I found glasscages.com, but their prices seem high.

Thanks,

Jared

a 180G is 72x24x24 usually. they do make special deeper tanks now for reefs and better footprint for fish swimming room, etc.

look up rysharks 180G on here, its acrylic, but its a simply amazing tank

I would advise against glass-cages.com Their craftsmanship is god awful and you will be disappointed you bought from them. Also.. if you think their prices are too steep, then good luck. They are probably the cheapest place online to buy custom glass aquariums. ESPECIALLY if you are wanting to buy a huge tank like you are thinking of now. It will only get more expensive from here on out. Larger tanks require more resources, larger equipment, more water, more salt, more live rock, basically more everything. You spent 2grand on just this 55G and haven't even started it yet? Expect to double that in price before you ever get this next tank up and running. Big tanks are big money, i don't care what any rich person has to say. Money is money and i know the costs of tanks larger than 100 gallons.

I love our 4' 120G.... it would be a great reef tank footprint. The depth is an issue for lighting, but not a huge one by any means.

40 breeder is my all time fave... the the 4' 120G is great if you have the squarefootage for it.

Back
Top Bottom